Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a used rear locker for a 1999 vitara jx 2.0l 4x4 3 door?
I drive it on road and off so i don't want to weld it up and a new arb systems are way out of my budget.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
Have you considered a lockright - do a search of the forum, I think the 1520 fits that model, and it's a lot less than a new air locker - be warned, the lockrights can be unpredictable under certain road conditions.

My car spends most of it's time on the street, so for me, the preferred option, is a selectable locker - I'm slowly squirrelling away the pennies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am hoping to stumble across a selectable locker. When I researched the lockright there was a lot of mixed reviews. Failure being one of them. I didn't like the thought of my wife driving my 2 door Vitara and getting pushed thru a red light on a wet surface. I wish there was a front locker available for my 1999 Vitara. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it. At $1000 for the ABR, I can't justify putting a part of that cost on a vehicle that books for not much more than that.
Have you considered a lockright - do a search of the forum, I think the 1520 fits that model, and it's a lot less than a new air locker - be warned, the lockrights can be unpredictable under certain road conditions.

My car spends most of it's time on the street, so for me, the preferred option, is a selectable locker - I'm slowly squirrelling away the pennies.

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
I'm not certain how (or why) "getting pushed thru a red light on a wet surface" becomes a locker related concern - take your foot of the gas, put it on the brake, the car stops in exactly the same way it did "pre-locker".

Having said that - the reason why I'm looking at selectable lockers is, like yours, a safety concern, my wife & daughters do drive my car.

You could if you wanted, fit a front locker, it just requires a little more work - you'll need to swap the front diff center for one from an earlier model, and faff around with the CV axles to get them to fit. Not advisable though, unless, you're also going to swap in a cast iron diff housing, the aluminum one you have now is known for it's "fragility".

As for the cost justification, that's more of a personal issue - there are many folks out there who have more "invested" in their vehicles than the vehicle itself is worth - yes, I am one of them - here's how I see it...

What's it going to cost you to go out and buy a vehicle, equipped the way you want that can take out there and go where you want?

Suzuki 4WD are probably the last remaining "true" compact 4WDs, they have distinct advantages over many of the other compact "SUVs", and the only disadvantage is the lack of "available options".

If, for example, you were driving a Jeep, you could take it down to your local 4WD Parts store and get it all kitted out, you can't do that with a Suzuki, but, realistically speaking, your Suzuki will get you to 95% of the places that Jeep will, and for a lot less cash.

Your choice...

I "daily drive" my 5 door GV, which is in the body shop as I write this, I got rear-ended a few weeks back and chose to do a complete refinish, and that's costing me more than your truck is worth, but less than it would take for me to replace it with a comparable vehicle.

It's all about how much you (or I) value the vehicle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fordem,
The problem with the lockrite at red lights is taking off and having to make an immediate turn. You have to give gas to move and the issue is with the short wheel base of the 2 door. On wet pavement the locker does not disengage quick enough. Pushing you straight. You and I would know to give gas and get off of it quickly to make the turn but my wife would not remember to do this.

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
They turn, just not as tight - but I understand where you're coming from, it is in fact, the same reason that I won't fit an autolocker to a vehicle that my wife & daughters drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts