Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've recently purchased a used 2011 Grand Vitara 2.4L with about 43.000km. I am currently in San Pedro de Atacama in Northern Chile, and about to cross to Bolivia through the Hito Cajón moutain pass, to an area where no mechanic is to be found . I've just noticed a strange noise when shifting gears, and I definitely don't want to be stuck in Bolivia with a gearbox problem :)

When the door is open, I can clearly hear a sort of 'crank' noise when changing gears. Here's a recording of what it sound like (with the engine off): bit.ly/SOnMze . However, when inside the vehicle, I don't hear any noise when shifting (expect the usual rear gear).

Is this normal or should I be worried ?

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
With the engine not running it sounds perfectly normal. If it shifts fine when you are driving I don't see that you have anything to worry about.

But before you travel have you have checked the oil levels in both diffs, the gearbox and transfer case?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the engine not running it sounds perfectly normal. If it shifts fine when you are driving I don't see that you have anything to worry about.

But before you travel have you have checked the oil levels in both diffs, the gearbox and transfer case?
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it's the first time I'm noticing the noise of the gears changing in the gearbox...

Yes, I had the levels checked two weeks ago.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Perfectly normal, so long as you have a manual gearbox. Thats what a gearbox sounds like when changing gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts