Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved the Jimny and owned a couple of them while living in Japan. I found a nice JA71V last year at the auctions. I couldn't pass on it so I picked it up with the intention of importing it to the US when the it hit the magic 25 year old mark, which will be in June of this year. It will be landing in the fall, which I'm pretty excited about because the winters here in Indiana are a pain in the butt without a 4X4.

What I wondered was if there was a market in the US for imported 25+ year old Jimnys. Obviously the fact that they are RHD may be an issue, but it isn't for me as I've driven in RHD countries for half my life.

I did some searching on Google and didn't come up with much, so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'd get a kick out of bringing in a handful of nice, low mileage examples every year.

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice try, but only the high end or exotics are brought into the U.S. by this means. You will have to endure the process of federalizing these vehicles, which will involve ensuring that they are up to U.S. safety and emissions standards for the year of the vehicle. You also must swap in an English speedometer and tachometer and obtain a U.S. VIN number.

Not to mention that the Samurai was roundly criticized as "unsafe" by Consumers Union in the U.S., meaning that the resale value of a Jimny (is there a difference?) will be in the toilet. Finally, the Sammy was considered a low cost, basically disposable 4X4, so there isn't even a big following anymore (sure to get hammered on that one). Meaning, there is not a large market for these to sell you imports into.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think that is why he is waiting for the 25 year mark.

The Nissan Skyline fans are saying that they could be importing early R32 Nissans in 2014 because you don't have to go through as much legislation, crash tests and so on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry JR. Your ill informed.
There is a huge and I might add growing fan base and demand for the " Samurai " Jimny in the USA.
I make a living building off road rigs. I've seen the demand for Samaria's sky rocket in the past few years. They are getting hard to find in any condition.
I have also noticed a sharp increase in value over the last few years.
Depending on the cost of import and prep, you may have a good idea there Ricsteve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts