Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks,

i'm having a hard time deciding between buying the Suzuki Jimny AUTO and the Jimny MANUAL. Main question is, which one will provide better OFFROAD PERFORMANCE ? or are they both the same ?

i'm an old fashioned driver i guess, i still think that manual transmissions ( as opposed to auto ) give the car a little bit power and the driver a little bit more control ( u can drag gears and so on ) . does this translate into better offroad performance compared to the AUTO version ?

i am not experienced with offroad driving, so i would appreciate any advice from u experts out there. i plan to take my Jimny offroad every once in a while but not too serious stuff...

thanks,

david.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi David

I cannot speak from experience on the Jimny, but on Vitara 1.6, and GV2.0 the auto wins for me. I have never seen one stall on the difficult Rhino Club off-road meets - but I've seen many manuals stall! Can be "interesting" when it happens half way up a 1 in 3 drag.

That virtual impossibility to stall the auto gives me confidence in traffic on the road. Hence I now always specify auto when changing my Suzuki 4x4 - possibly the most cost effective good fun value on the road.

Try an auto and enjoy.

beancounter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Go for a manual, You get better engine braking with a manual. As you do not want to be using your brakes going down hill. :eek:

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
i came across this post somewhere......in another forum.guess qsgoo7o must have gotten some enlightenment already over which gearbox suits him.

my reply is simple, so long as you enjoy the Jimny it doesnt matter which gearbox you are on, doll her up or build her for the tough terrian!

INkcredible
"why control only two wheels when you can have all four?"

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by MR INKCREDIBLE@Dec 30 2004, 10:43 AM
i came across this post somewhere......in another forum.guess qsgoo7o must have gotten some enlightenment already over which gearbox suits him.

my reply is simple, so long as you enjoy the Jimny it doesnt matter which gearbox you are on, doll her up or build her for the tough terrian!

INkcredible
"why control only two wheels when you can have all four?"
Id go for manual. Ive been driving offroads since i was 12 with my dads auto... and i ALWAYS have to put it in 1st or 2nd to slow it down when going down hill.. its much easyier than the break and much more effective.

My sisters husband does offroad competitions and he will only buy a manual for it

·
Registered
10 Posts
i also preferred manual personally. :D able to launch and control the rpms at will.this plays an important part during offroad together with the low gears..i read up quite a bit bout the delicate torque converters that is used in an auto trans. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Jimney does not have the power to go off road in a Auto, most off roading done in a jimny will be done in low range (if there is any hills) 1st, while most other 4*4's will be be in low 2nd or 3rd. <_<

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi folks,

thanks for all the advice!! really appreciate it!

in the end, i took the safer ( and cheaper ) route and got myself a MANUAL! i figured a manual is easier on the fuel consumption, more engine power, better engine braking, and generally more control in off road situations ( provided i dont stall the engine ), so thats why i got the manual.

its not as if i'l be going off road alot, what with me living in Singapore, but on those occassions that i do, i would like to be prepared. :)

oh one other thing, if i were to change the tires to bigger ones? do i need to change the shock absorbers as well? seems like i have to ya? what would be a good combination?

my current jimny looks so civil and muted, i think i need to do her up a little!!

i figure bigger tires will require stiffer suspension?

thanks...

dave.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hmm..tires upsizing has got nothing in relative to suspension settings. if any, then it would be suspension lifting/body lift to allow more space in the wheel arch for the bigger tire size.

as mentioned, a stock jim can take 215/75 R15 without lift. but do not take it off road or be prepared to accept damage to your fender or tires!!!

like wise,do visit this site and perhaps we can go off road together in the near future or sit for a cuppa....www.teamprorv.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts