Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this question on other sites too but I'm trying to get all the opinions I can.

1995 Suzuki Sikekick JLX, 4 X 4 auto, loaded with every option and everything works. NO rust anywhere, a Cali car. Interior in very good shape. British green with the beginnings of clear coat failure on the roof.

170,000 miles

Needs TB and WP and IAC.

Compressions just checked (but I forgot to open throttle)
175,160,170,170 Plugs dry and nicely grey in color. Compressions all came up to 190s with a dab of oil.

Tranny occasionally shifts a bit abruptly but otherwise ok.

Suspension ok with no noise or leaks - good brakes.

Please give your opinion, would you spend any money on it? Say, if the tranny went out?

Thanks to all,
Dennis

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
Do you like the car? If so, then this may answer your question. Presumably you are advising that the car needs a throttle body (why?), idle speed solenoid (IAC/ISC - expensive enough to buy but cheap at a junkyard) and a waterpump. There is a certain 'cult' following for these old cars - and whether or not you want to put money into it is a matter of personal choice. I have owned my car for 19 years - and have been getting some serious repair to it over the past year - welding, etc. It's a labor of love.
If you search through the forum, you will find people who are repairing these cars in an effort to keep them on the road. Some are doing extensive repairs - chances are if you went to another forum and asked about dumping money into a 20 year old car, posters would probably tell you not to. On this forum, well, that's what we do...;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not throttle body, Timing Belt - 100000 miles on it now (wow!) (My daughter had the car at college for 7 years and nothing but oil changes got done)
Yeah, I like the car and it's actually the only car I have with four seats.
Compressions are worrisome though, although one guy said he wouldn't worry until it got way less.

Dennis

·
Registered
621 Posts
If it hasnt had a valve adjustment in seven years, the compression isnt THAT worrisome. Youre looking at under 500 bucks to do everythibg yourself.

Personally, Id do a quick valve job...its free. See what the compression bumps up to. If it looks decent, keep going, if not, sell it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't the fact the compression came up so well with oil in the cylinders indicate the valves are ok and the rings are failing?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wouldnt trust those numbers anyway if the throttle wasnt open and the motor wasnt hot.

My old motor tested like 130,20,120,135 when cold. On 3 cylinders it would still run 75~80.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
It sounds like its in pretty good shape apart from a couple of relatively simple jobs. What is wrong with the throttle body?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Ah, OK, sorry I missed your reply above. Well that's fairly inexpensive and easily done at the same time as the water pump. When removing the lower pulley undo the small bolts not the big one in the middle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd keep it personally.... oh wait i bought the same thing =P got a timing belt and head gasket sitting right next to me (waiting till I find my electrical problem before I put them in) think i got the head gasket kit and belt for about 150~175 dollars but the gasket kit is everything from the head gasket up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts