1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
New to the forum,
3 days ago I bought a 2008 grand Vitara 1.6 petrol. 100,000 miles on the clock
About a mile away from work this morning and the oil light came on, it would flicker, then come on constant, then go off, it did this a couple of times.
Checked the oil level and that was ok?
Any help or advice on what it might be would be very much appreciated! it's under warranty but the garage I bought it from is over 20 miles away!

·
Super Moderator
17,660 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit to gauge wire may be touching / grounding out thus illuminating the oil lamp. The oil pressure sending unit may be faulty, OR your oil pressure is low due to mechanical issues within the engine.

Only a closer inspection and diagnosis can pin-point the cause.

I wouldn't run the engine until this is sorted out. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Max, thanks for getting back to me!
Im not very mechanically minded, but would the fact the exhaust heat shield is loose have any effect? as I believe that is roughly where the switch is??
The garage is going to have a look tonight, but wondered if there is anything obvious I can check whilst its still light?

·
Super Moderator
17,660 Posts
would the fact the exhaust heat shield is loose have any effect? as I believe that is roughly where the switch is??
Potentially, yes!

IF the metal shield contacts an insulation-less sender wire portion (short circuits to ground), it will illuminate the oil pressure light. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No light came on after work so I crawled home, going in tomorrow to be looked at!
Hopefully it's just a pressure switch issue!......HOPEFULLY! :eek:
Thank you for your help! I will keep the post updated in case it's of use to someone else! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil pressure switch replaced, no further issues with this at present so hopefully sorted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts