Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
Last weekend, the clutch cable on my '90 tracker snapped and I had to replace it. Even though I used the very same one (Beck/Arnley) as before, I had some major adjustment issues. So I had to adjust the pedal height by loosening the 12mm bolt by the splines.
It was all fine for a day. Now, I'm having intermittent no start issues. It started tonight so I could not take a look at it yet but I was thinking that I might have messed up the clutch switch. However, what happens, when I try to start the car w/out depressing the clutch is different from what happens during "no start issue". Let me explain:
During "no start issue";
1) I depress the clutch
2) turn the key to "hot" position and the dashboard lights come on together with a few audible clicks (like a relay click).
3) I turn the key to start the car but instead of the car starting as it should, all I hear is a single click coming from dashboard.

When I try to start the car w/out depressing the clutch, exact same things happen except that, I do not hear that "single click". This little difference (single click vs no single click) makes me think that it may not be the clutch switch.

In any case, I will try to disable (straight wire the leads) the clutch switch tomorrow. I would greatly appreciate your help with

1) how to disable (straight wire) the clutch switch
2) what else might be causing this issue.

Thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
If your clutch pedal height has been changed, its possible that it no longer its the clutch switch on the firewall at the top of the pedal. To see if this is the issue, put your car in neutral, parking brake on, etc., and get under the dash and press the switch button in while turning the key and see if your car starts. I actually had to start my car like this for a few days until I had time to sort the issue - very convenient! Anyway, if you can get the car to start like this, then the switch (or clearance for it) is the problem.
Regarding the clicks - I assume that the CEL is on with the key on, etc. One click from the various relays is ok - and normally you may not hear them as you are going directly to start, and hearing the starter spin, etc., which would mask the sounds of the relays. It is when the relays click continuously - the ECU booting over and over again - that there is a problem.
Presumably, you are able to get the starter to spin by jumping the solenoid....??

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
As well as the clutch cut out switch you should check the main earth strap from the starter to the battery, when that goes bad the engine block can earth out through the clutch cable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bex and Rhinoman,

Thank you for the quick response. I will try to hardwire the clutch switch and see if it works. If it does, then I will leave it that way. I don't think I have ever tried to start the car without depressing the clutch and "shaking" the gear lever.

Jumping the solenoid might be my last resort. Could you tell me how to do it. I'm thinking I have to jump the + of the battery to one of the leads of the starter solenoid but which one?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Jumping the starter solenoid, or pushing the clutch safety switch in manually while trying to start the car are, um, 'tests', so that you can try to determine where your problem lies, before you start re-wiring, replacing, etc. If you manually push the clutch safety switch in, and the starter spins and the car starts (and be careful doing this), then you know that your safety switch is your problem. If you try to jump the starter solenoid (removing the wire to the small spade connector on the solenoid, and then jump that spade connector to the large bolt with the lead going directly to your battery - usually a thick red cable - and see if the starter spins. Again, be careful - stand on the side of the car while doing this, make sure that the tranny and transfer case are in neutral, parking brake on, etc. If the starter doesn't spin when you jump these connections - and you are sure that you have a good connection between the two - then chances are your problem is the starter or wiring to it.
Also check to make sure that your battery is fully charged - low voltage can also cause the car not to start. These are 'diagnostic' tests.....;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
old thread

I didnt want to start a new thread. but i hope its ok to ask a starter question here. where is my starter relay? Do manual trans trackers have them>? forgive my ignorance. I bought a new ground cable and its starts sometimes then the starter today. I had the starter tested it worked fine... the Parts guy said they work sometimes then stop then work again? I asked him for a starter relay and nothing came up on his computer. does the solenoid act has a relay? Im lost and out of ideas. the crappy manual i bought shows very little. thanks for any help. have a great day.

Dan-

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
The solenoid acts as the relay.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
You should advise exactly what you are driving. If 1996 and newer, the complete factory service manual is over on Acks FAQS - the mechanicals regarding the starter hook up will be the same.
Ack's FAQ 1996 Geo Tracker Factory Service Manual
You should check your connections.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts