Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Vitara SZ3 2011 SWB
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2011 Grand Vitara SZ3 manual with short wheel base.

Maybe 6 weeks ago we had an incident at traffic lights when there was a loss of power and a juddering. Pulling off needed me to press the accelerator a lot. It cleared quite quickly (maybe 10 seconds after pulling off).

Since then we have intermittent problems with either loss of power or juddering or both. This can happen when waiting at a junction or when travelling at speed.

At speed it is normally the juddering and a slight power loss. However, I noticed the other day that the mpg plummeted when this happens to below 10mpg on the flat when normally I’d expect it to be over 30.

My mechanic has checked and no errors have been reported. We put in higher octane fuel and a fuel cleaner and it did run better - considerably so - but it deteriorated as soon as we put in normal fuel. He’s now replaced the coils but we still got the juddering and a drop in mpg and engine performance.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what is going wrong?

Thank
Rob

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,254 Posts
The mechanic is guessing, that will just put your money in his pocket, you need to diagnose before throwing parts at it..

What are the fuel trims, ?
What is the MAF reporting ?
What is the fuel pressure ?
Have you completed a FI pressure drop test ?

·
Registered
Grand Vitara SZ3 2011 SWB
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanic is guessing, that will just put your money in his pocket, you need to diagnose before throwing parts at it..

What are the fuel trims, ?
What is the MAF reporting ?
What is the fuel pressure ?
Have you completed a FI pressure drop test ?
Thanks, Aquanaut20.

I agree that the mechanic is just guessing. I think his problem is the intermittent nature of the problem. On a 200 mile drive it might show a problem for 10 seconds. The worry is that it might be a crucial ten seconds - pulling off at a busy junction.

I don’t have the skills or equipment to do thetests you suggest. I’m happy to ask the mechanic to do them, though. He has looked for faults using the onboard computer- absolutely nothing reported (no misfiring or anything).

I’m going to give him a ring tomorrow and see what he plans next and I’m going armed with your thoughts.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,254 Posts
Make sure he looks at pending and history, he may also find something in the freeze frame data.

If the stuttering is not logging codes, it is likely an issue that is not monitored, for example fuel pressure/flow,

Electrical/electronic are more likely to leave codes and data.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts