Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm really hoping some will have some advice. I have an intermittent problem with the car not starting.
It is a 2009 Swift Sport. Never had any problems up until the other day and nothing has been changed/fixed. Let me start by saying the battery is fully charged.
I pulled up outside our local shops, popped in and out, and upon returning to the car it wouldn't start. I was only gone a minute or two. When I say it wouldn't start I mean it wouldn't crank. Turned the key and no cranking. I could vaguely hear 4 or 5 quiet ticks from under the bonnet. The ticks were not loud enough to be starter solenoid ticks. My initial thought was the battery in the key fob or an immobiliser problem. I thought taking the key far enough away to be out of range then coming back might have an effect (keyless start). This made no difference. I was just about to give up and call for a tow to a garage and thought I'd give it one last try.... The car started. It ran fine although the check engine light was on. I used the car every day for about a week with no problems. The check engine light went off on the journey home and stayed off.
After the weekend I went to start it on Monday morning and the same thing happened. All the lights are on but no cranking.
I borrowed a OBD reader and it shows the code P0335. I cleared the code and tried to start the car, same thing. No cranking. I left it where it was for a week and used the other half's car to go to work. I've tried it once or twice during the week with no success. I just thought I'd try it tonight, and it started first time. The check engine light came on again though. It runs fine as if nothing was ever wrong.
So my question is.. has this ever happened to anyone else before? Any ideas? I don't want to risk using the car for work and getting stranded.
Please help.
Thanks,
Damon

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

hi, the exact same thing has happened to my 09 swift extreme, except mine still will not start i was just wondering if you figured out what the problem is?
thanks Tom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, the exact same thing has happened to my 09 swift extreme, except mine still will not start i was just wondering if you figured out what the problem is?
thanks Tom.
Sorry, no. I still have the same problem. If the car doesn't start I just leave it where it is and use another car. I then come back to it in a day or so later and it starts. It is very weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you ever get anywhere with the starting problem. Mine is still doing it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is what I would do, please do not do this without expert advice. Shorted wiring can cause fires and stuff ECM's.
Ideally I would do some tests, I get a 12 volt lamp fitting of any small type, trailer, indicator, number plate, interior lamp etc, or even a 12 volt led, but a bulb that draws a little current is better IMHO. I run a couple of wires thru a grommet in the fire wall and connect to the starter relay coil. Every time I turn the key to start, the lamp should light. If it doesn't light up then the problem is either up stream of the starter relay, or in the ECM/immobiliser, if it lights up and no start then the problem is downstream.

If no light, then having an extra wire available to ground at the lamp will show if power is getting to the relay, if it then lights and cranks, the problem is in the ECM/immobiliser.

If it always lights up, but still does not crank, then it's downstream, automatic transmission, Neutral/Park switch, starter solenoid, or brushes in the starter. (Assuming the starter relay is OK)

A starter motor has 2 coils in the solenoid, one is a powerful PULL IN coil, and one is a light HOLD IN coil. The PULL IN coil circuit has it's ground circuit through the armature and brushes, so if the starter has worn or sticky brushes, crook armature segments, then the PULL IN coil does not work. The PULL IN coil is the powerful one that pulls the solenoid in and engages the drive gear and joins the solenoid contacts to power the starter motor. If it doesn't work due to sticky of worn brushes, then you only get the HOLD IN coil working, which is designed as just that, a coil to hold in the solenoid after the BIG pull in coil does it's job. If this happens, you get a little click click, not a BIG click.
If it's still doing the same thing after one year, I would suspect ECM/immobiliser or Park/Neutral switch.
EDIT, forgot to mention, CPP switch if it it a manual and has one (Clutch Pedal Position switch)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The OBD code P0335 means that the crankshaft position sensor is faulty.
I would check if the connector isn't oxidized and if it isn't replace the sensor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As I don't know the ins and out of these vehicles it could be the case, but my little knowledge says CKP sensors stops running engines, or may stop them from firing, but do not inhibit the crank function of a starter motor. As he has cleared the fault code and still no crank, I would not expect the CKP to be the problem. But just in case, there is a write up on cleaning and testing the CPK in the service manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solved

Many thanks for all your replies. Basically it turned out to be the connector on the wire leading to the starter solenoid. It was corroded on the inside of the connector. A quick snip and a new spade connector later... starts every time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I'm really hoping some will have some advice. I have an intermittent problem with the car not starting.
It is a 2009 Swift Sport. Never had any problems up until the other day and nothing has been changed/fixed. Let me start by saying the battery is fully charged.
I pulled up outside our local shops, popped in and out, and upon returning to the car it wouldn't start. I was only gone a minute or two. When I say it wouldn't start I mean it wouldn't crank. Turned the key and no cranking. I could vaguely hear 4 or 5 quiet ticks from under the bonnet. The ticks were not loud enough to be starter solenoid ticks. My initial thought was the battery in the key fob or an immobiliser problem. I thought taking the key far enough away to be out of range then coming back might have an effect (keyless start). This made no difference. I was just about to give up and call for a tow to a garage and thought I'd give it one last try.... The car started. It ran fine although the check engine light was on. I used the car every day for about a week with no problems. The check engine light went off on the journey home and stayed off.
After the weekend I went to start it on Monday morning and the same thing happened. All the lights are on but no cranking.
I borrowed a OBD reader and it shows the code P0335. I cleared the code and tried to start the car, same thing. No cranking. I left it where it was for a week and used the other half's car to go to work. I've tried it once or twice during the week with no success. I just thought I'd try it tonight, and it started first time. The check engine light came on again though. It runs fine as if nothing was ever wrong.
So my question is.. has this ever happened to anyone else before? Any ideas? I don't want to risk using the car for work and getting stranded.
Please help.
Thanks,
Damon
Hi,
Please help.
Thanks,
Damon
Thanks so much for posting this and the solution.
I have exactly the same issue.
I thought it was the battery so I called the 'Battery Doctor "who checked battery, starter motor and alternatee but found no faults
Then my friend sent me the link to this.
Between this and the tests tests the Battery Doc done, I was able to speak to the mechanic and sound like I knew what I was talking about.
As a femalw I'm never sure if I'm gerring ripped off.

What was the cost of your repair please.

Again, thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
it could also be a faulty start relay in the fuse box, or faulty ignition switch, or interlock switches in the start circuit.
90% of the time its a bad contact or broken wire by the starter. I would expect to pay a minimum labour charge for it to be checked and terminals cleaned at the starter. As with any intermittent problem, just wiggling the connection may solve the problem for months. An auto electrician would be a better person than a mechanic for this job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Solved

Many thanks for all your replies. Basically it turned out to be the connector on the wire leading to the starter solenoid. It was corroded on the inside of the connector. A quick snip and a new spade connector later... starts every time.
This is good to know.

Mine is doing EXACTLY the same thing, at the same time as yours did.

Popped into the supermarket and when I came out, the car didn't even try to crank. Just the ever so faitest whirring sound (almost sounded like a fuel pump). Same error code (P0335).

I replaced the crankshaft sensor, but the same thing happened to me a couple of hours ago. So I'll check the wiring, connectors and the fuses / relay next.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally got round to having a look at the starter motor and solenoid.

The spade connection didn't look too bad and not much in the way of corrosion on either terminals. But the positive wire did seem loose. Tightening everything up and cleaned the spade connector up as good as I good (it's such a tight job if you don't remove the drive shaft). Starts first time, started it several times and after going for a drive still starts.

Fingers crossed it was just the loose wire in the end (y)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,376 Posts
Great that you fixed it.. You are now counted in the majority of causes, dirty/bad/loose connection at starter..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts