Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Suzuki grand Vitara and none of the interior lights have ever worked since I purchased the vehicle. I’ve tested all of them and there is power to all, I can turn my dome light on manually. I’ve checked the interior fuses and replace them and it didn’t do anything. I’m not sure what else to check or what else it could possibly be.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have read through the other questions posted and saw some thing about a fuse under the hood which I will check but I am not sure if there is anything else it could be if it’s not that. Thank you in advance for your help!
Also I assume when you shut the car off the door should automatically unlock or lock when you put it into drive and it doesn’t do that either not sure if it’s related.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You would think if they were getting power then they would work. Other than globes I couldn't think of much else.
I'd your after the door setting it might be possible that the door jamb buttons are stuck down?

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
The internal lights on auto mode are controlled by the bcm, the front door base ones by the door switch directly. If the door lights are working then check the supply to the bcm from the door switch. If that is OK, let me know and I'll dig out a circuit diagram
The manual switch grounds the circuit to turn on the dome light, in the "auto" (door) position the bcm controls it and does the fade out after 10 seconds or immediately if the ign is on. If ign is off they should work as soon as you turn key off on the keyless models, or remove the key in the manual key models and open the door

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The internal lights on auto mode are controlled by the bcm, the front door base ones by the door switch directly. If the door lights are working then check the supply to the bcm from the door switch. If that is OK, let me know and I'll dig out a circuit diagram
The manual switch grounds the circuit to turn on the dome light, in the "auto" (door) position the bcm controls it and does the fade out after 10 seconds or immediately if the ign is on. If ign is off they should work as soon as you turn key off on the keyless models, or remove the key in the manual key models and open the door
Thank you! I can move the dome light to on and it works. I’ve tested all lights inside and that’s not the issue. There’s lights on the doors don’t work there is another domelight in the back that doesn’t work one on the back door that doesn’t work I’m not even sure if where you put it in drive lights up or not it never has since I’ve owned it I would think it does but I honestly have no idea for sure so the only interior light I can get to come on her work is the dome light if it’s switch to the on position only.

·
Registered
791 Posts
"Also I assume when you shut the car off the door should automatically unlock or lock when you put it into drive and it doesn’t do that either not sure if it’s related."

This automatic lock/unlock function was never a feature of any 3rd generation Grand Vitara. A lot of people would like it to be, but it is just not part of the BCM programming and can't be added.

As Inais suggested in their post, I would be checking that the door switches are working properly (start with the simple things first). Though it seems strange that all 5 switches would be malfunctioning at the same time.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
ok, if the door lights (the ones in the doors themselves) aren't working, thats probably a fuse or a power supply issue, I'll have to dig out the wiring diagram for that, the door switches run those as well as the dome lights.

theres 2 fuses to check, if radio is working then the B/U fuse is fine, thats in series with the Dome fuse. I suspect thats ok as the lights are working manually. Pull a door switch, drivers side would be the best and check for volts there and correct switching. If someones snagged a wire if that switch ain't getting power, then none of them will be from memory. It could even be a busted wire in the main dome light or its switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay just to be clear that I understand and make sure we are on the same page. In the vehicle there’s 2 dome lights and lights on the 2 front doors and the rear door. I’m not sure about the back passenger doors. The only working lights are the front dome light only when in on position and the 2 lights by the visors that are push button.
I did replace 2 fuses In the inside fuse box for the lights. The radio works. There were red #10. It didn’t change anything. All of the doors have been checked to make sure nothing is stuck so I’ve eliminated that. I’ve also had them all tested to make sure the light wasn’t bad and none were.
When you say pull a door switch I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that I am not very mechanically inclined but I can do some things if you can just let me know a little more detail I’ll figure it out. Thank you so much for all of your help!!

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Does your car have lights in the lower door oanels about level with the seat adjuster when the door is closed?

The map lights are supplied from the circuit that supplies the inside roof light, so you have power, but no switching to turn on the done light. Now we have to find out if it is the switch or the bcm, or the doir/ on/ off switch in the light itself.

The door switch i am referring to is the one the door hits when closed to turn the lights off, held in with a philips head screw

The rear light in the boot is the same, does that one work in the "door"" position or not? If not that gives me a direction to start looking

Reactions: dmcduff04

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does your car have lights in the lower door oanels about level with the seat adjuster when the door is closed?
yes but they don’t work

The door switch i am referring to is the one the door hits when closed to turn the lights off, held in with a philips head screw
Oh okay, I can do that thank you! How will I know if it is bad? I will pull it out tomorrow am and check it. Is that something is need to have checked?
Thank you so much for all your help!

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
You will need a multimeter to test the switch. And to check for voltages on the switch wires. The fact the door ones don't work tells me where to go look in the diagram as those front door lights are fed direct from the door switch on each side. Im almost suspicious theres a broken wire somewhere

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will need a multimeter to test the switch. And to check for voltages on the switch wires. The fact the door ones don't work tells me where to go look in the diagram as those front door lights are fed direct from the door switch on each side. Im almost suspicious theres a broken wire somewhere

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The map lights are supplied from the circuit that supplies the inside roof light, so you have power, but no switching to turn on the done light. Now we have to find out if it is the switch or the bcm, or the doir/ on/ off switch in the light itself.

The rear light in the boot is the same, does that one work in the "door"" position or not? If not that gives me a direction to start looking
Thanks! None of the other lights work even in the on position. Just the front dome light and the map lights. Nothing else.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
All of the door things are in tact and not stuck on any of the doors.
but do they operate correctly? is there power to the door switches? what testing have you done?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi I have a 2010 3 door Vitara and the rear interior light has no power to it the front interior light is working fine any idea what is ca this problem please.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but do they operate correctly? is there power to the door switches? what testing have you done?
All I’ve done is check that they are in tact. I’m not sure how to check anything else. What exactly do I check and I’ll figure it out.
Thank you

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
All I’ve done is check that they are in tact. I’m not sure how to check anything else. What exactly do I check and I’ll figure it out.
Thank you
If you have limited knowledge of electricity, or how to use a multimeter, you might be advised to seek assistance from someone that understands how auto electric systems work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah to do that I’m gonna have to have some help. I will get that done as soon as possible hopefully today and let you know. Do you want me to check the driver side door or all of them?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts