Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to an electrical short, I have to replace both of the fuse boxes in my 1989 Suzuki Sidekick JX (1.6L engine, 2-door, 4x4, manual). I've already replaced the main fuse box in the engine compartment (36730-60A20). However, I am unable to find the part number for the interior fuse box that is underneath the steering column.

In the parts catalog, there is a "BRACKET,FUSE BOX," with part number 36735-60A00. I believe that this "bracket" is the interior fuse box itself. There is no cover.

Comments? Any help in locating an interior fuse box (new or used) will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
If you look here at #6, it indicates 36717 60A20 for the 89/90 model:
???

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
#6 appears to be the fuse box cover - I'm wondering if the fusebox is available as a separate part or if it's one with the main harness. I've looked at a few other different models and none of them seem to have a separate number for the internal fuse box.

Edit...

I did find one Suzuki (a Swift) that had the internal fuse box as a separate number, so it's highly likely that it may not be available separately for all models.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to everyone for your research! I am unable to find part number 36717-60A20 online (eBay, Megazip, etc.). I've instructed the auto shop to take the affected circuits (blower, A/C clutch, etc.) out of the original fuse box and protect them with a small add-on fuse box.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
As Fordem says, I believe that part number is for the cover. In any event, as with a number of things, a bit of creativity with our classic cars often goes a long way. Good idea for the add on fuse box.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that the current A/C system in my car (as installed) combines the fan (blower) circuit with the AC clutch circuit. This may have overloaded the fuse. I also instructed the auto shop to place the blower and AC clutch on two separate circuits and fuses. This will spread the electrical load on the AC circuits and hopefully keep the new fuse box from overheating.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
It shouldn’t have overloaded the fuse. You should have a 25 amp fuse specifically for the A/C at the fusible link box, as well as a 25 amp fuse under the dash (the heater fuse), all of which run the components in the A/C amplifier….????

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
I believe that the current A/C system in my car (as installed) combines the fan (blower) circuit with the AC clutch circuit.
That's a serious "bodge" if it's correct - what if you wanted/needed to use the heater - you would need the blower without energizing the a/c compressor clutch.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent point, Fordem!

That is another reason the auto electrician was instructed to "spread out" the circuit load.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It shouldn’t have overloaded the fuse. You should have a 25 amp fuse specifically for the A/C at the fusible link box, as well as a 25 amp fuse under the dash (the heater fuse), all of which run the components in the A/C amplifier….????
Yes. There is probably an intermittant short somewhere. Isolating the circuits into separate fuses should help identify the problem.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a serious "bodge" if it's correct - what if you wanted/needed to use the heater - you would need the blower without energizing the a/c compressor clutch.
You are correct, fordem. The blower is on a different circuit from the a/c compressor clutch. A short had partially melted the interior fuse box. As a "temporary fix," the impacted fuses have been replaced with inline fuses. I've since located a used fuse box with wiring and will be attempting a more permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone have a diagram for the interior fuse box that shows:

(1) The amperage of each fuse (10A, 15A, etc.), and
(2) The circuit (headlamp, cigarette lighter, etc.) that the fuse protects?

Thanks,
pjf

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I don’t have this for the 89/90 but for the 91, most of which should be similar:
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Schematic

Reactions: Bear95

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are we sure that the 1989 fuse block is identical to the 1991 fuse block?

Does anyone have a 1989 fuse block diagram to post?

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Font Line Parallel Rectangle Slope

From Fixkick

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Bex, for the 1989-90 Sidekick fuse box diagram! I've already forwarded it to the auto service shop!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts