Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds like a really stupid question... how can I take scratches out of my instrument dial covers (the clear plastic)?

I have an '06 Grand Vitara. I was wiping off some dust with a soft nakpin and hardly any pressure and it looks like I took a brillo pad to it! I have to wonder what Suzuki is making the dial covers out of. I worked in a plastics factory for almost 10 years and never saw clear plastic that scratches this easy.

I've tried a plastic polish (we used it to remove scratches on the clear panels that are refrigerators) to no success.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about Suzuki Corp send me a new one made of better scratch resistant plastic?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rick,

I haven't had this problem with the 2006 GV (yet :) ), but I do have a few friends who are precision machinists and they have given me a tip to help with polishing plastics and metals to a high shine.

If you are in the US there is a brand of polish you may be able to purchase from any car-care maintenance store (like Checker or Napa Auto Parts) to polish aluminum.

Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish.

I know what you're thinking, "Aluminum! I mentioned that I had a problem with Plastic pal!"

However, this has consistently worked on several plastic parts (according to the machinists) that require high optical clarity (e.g. - plexiglas panels, led light guides and machined plastic viewing pockets for a hermetic package, etc.). The polish you are using may be too fine to buff out the scratches, whereas this substance may have a slightly more coarse texture.

Legally speaking, I should mention that I do NOT recommend that you use this on anything valuable, but I suggest you test it on a piece of old plastic to restore it as a test. If it works (which it probably will) you must decide yourself if you feel courageous enough to use it on other areas.

Good Luck!

MechanicalE

P.S. - One of the Machinists demonstrated this on a plastic light cover (on his old 1980s Mustang) and it restored the finish to what appeared to be new. It truly is something you will have to test (on a worthless sample piece of worn/old plastic) and see to believe. Take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts