Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's Tracker died from the standard corroded off wire on the fuel pump and I can't see any way to attach new wires. Because as is typical of Northeast salted winter roads, every screw, nut and bolt is rusted solid and impossible to remove. I thought about soldering new wires on without removing the pump from the tank, but see the connectors are in plastic bushings that wouldn't take the heat.
I know the high pressure inline pumps are used on many fuel injected including racing engines and am wondering if anyone has tried an Inline fuel pump drawing through the inline pump?? I tried sucking through an inline pump and it seemed to draw fine, so I can't see any reason that It wouldn't work.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Smiley

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It seems logical that as long as you can draw fuel through the
in-tank pump, it should work.
I forgot to mention that someone had cut an access door though the floorboard over the tank and that is why I thought of soldering wires on it.
I did manage today to get a very small sheet metal screw in the little hole in the top of the connector so will pick up some electrically conductive adhesive, wrap a new wire on the screw, stick it together and see if it works. If it does, I'll epoxy it to waterproof it. If not I'll try the inline pump. I might try to pick up a used tank in Florida this winter because the next thing that will probably happen is rust pinholes popping through. They already did on the oil pan.Thanks,
Smiley

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can see in the photo how rusty this old girl is.

I did manage to connect a wire to the screw by bending a new piece of 14ga wire in a U shape and applying solder to it, then looping it around the screw and squeezing it tightly closed with long nose pliers. I did not use the electrically conductive adhesive I mentioned above because the wire squeezed down so tight that i just used regular epoxy then completely enclosed the screw all the way down to the tank to insulate and hold the screw in place, followed today by a second casing of epoxy to further stabilize it. It's running good for now but we do intend to order a mew inline high pressure pump in case this repair fails.
I do need your help though.
If you have a new or used pump that would fit this Tracker, laying under your bench, please pull it out and suck on the fuel line outlet (not the return line) to see if you can easily draw air through it. As I mentioned above, I did try that with an 89 Caravan pump I have and it drew easily. Yesterday I was up in my other garage and tried it on a Hummer H3 pump I had laying there and no way could I suck any air through it, so an external inline pump would definitely not work on that one. Please let me know if it works.
Thank you,
Smiley

Attachments

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
That pump and tank top looks mighty ugly :eek:, I would not be messing around it too much..

… Philip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts