Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Since I am going to rebuild the engine in my Samurai I decided to put a spare motor in that I got when I purchased the truck. The motor I am rebuilding is a G13A and the motor I put in temporarily is a G13B. When I got the motor in, before I hooked up the cooling system I wanted to check the compression. I cranked it a couple times with fresh oil and filter in plugs out to get the oil pumping then I checked the compression on the #1 cylinder and it read very low like 60 psi. I was tired and not thinking so I put oil in all of the cylinders before I checked them all dry. The pressure came up in the #1 to about 135 psi and the others all read in the 150 range cold of course. about a week later after letting it sit I did a compression test again because I had forgot to hold the throttle open the first time. All four read 155 psi with 7 cranks. I have heard of rings sticking on a motor that has sat for awhile could this have been my problem and did I fix it? Would the oil temporarily seal the rings for a week if it has not been run? Is there anything else I can check before I go to the trouble of hooking the rest of the stuff up? Any advise would help thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
The only thing I can think of that you could do is a leak down test. If you can pressurize the cylinder at TDC and not hear any leaking from the PCV, intake or exhaust you are probably good to go.

Personally if an engine is sitting for a long time I will remove the spark plugs and spray some penetrating fluid down each cylinder. I let it sit for a day then crank the bolt with a wrench to make sure nothing is binding, hitting or seized. I then crank it with the starter for a few seconds before replacing the plugs and giving it a go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts