Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Short video i posted on YouTube showing the updated parts for the rear differential driveshaft flange and oil seal on affected Suzuki SX4 AWD models (Japan RW420 production) with the 2.0 liter petrol engine.

Affected Models: All 4WD SX4 (RW420) models.

There is an improved driveshaft flange and differential side oil seal which should help in eliminating corrosion (and therefore leaks) on vehicles driven in severe winter conditions where de-icing agents are used on the roads.

This should resolve any future leaks.

Updated driveshaft flange part number: 27780-79J10

Updated rear side differential seal: 09283-35064

·
Registered
838 Posts
Does this apply to specific year models ?
EDIT Ok the video sysa 2011....same as mine

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(sorry, forgot to include that info, just edited the post),

according to the Suzuki technical service bulletin TS 04 92916 it is all AWD model years RW420 production

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks for the info...I have returned to the underside and have added (I had coated the underside yesterday, before reading this thread) a double extra coat of winter protection over these flanges.....there are two, of course, one on each side....which is not clearly stated in the video nor in the service bulletin...
WIfe's sx4 has very low mileage and no sign of leaks..it has been coated every year since new so maybe corrosion was kept away...

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure if the new seal lip runs/makes contact with the new flange cover, i'm assuming it acts like a shield

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great advice LMP, I will do the same, my sx4 is very low mileage (16,500km) and shows no signs of leaking, but still can't hurt to coat it,
what product did you use? (I have some rust check)

·
Registered
838 Posts
...can't hurt to coat it, what product did you use? ...
I bought a blue "hybrid " coating from Carquest, a mix of petroleum and parrafin. I had bought the spray gun kit for 70C$ last year, and a gallon of product for 45C$ both including taxes. A gallon coats 3 cars that size (Sorento and SX4) THe cars have been coated every year since new. .

So I bought an extra gallon this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this post! Good info to have. I have a related question I was hoping someone might be able to answer - I just got past 90k miles on my 2011 SX4 Crossover, and I went out and bought new spark plugs, coolant, oils (engine, manual transmission, transfer case, differential) and had a local shop near my work that I didn't have much experience with do the work with the supplies I brought. Only thing concerning me before I brought it in was that a few weeks ago the brake light had been staying on even after releasing the hand brake, so I had them look at that too. When I picked up the car they said the left rear brake caliper was leaking, but more concerning to me was what they wrote on the sales receipt but didn't mention verbally to me - that the transfer case and rear differential are leaking... which led me to this thread.

What I'm wondering is:

a) Any chance the local shop was wrong in their assessment?
b) Any chance the local shop screwed something up and caused a leak?
c) As that post/video shows, there is an improved flange and seal for the rear differential... could getting those replaced "fix" the diff leak? (I should get the improved parts installed anyway since I live in the Northeast US where there's lots of road salt used.)
d) Likewise is there a replacement seal I can get for the transfer case?
e) Any recommendations on good shops in the Boston area (I'm in the 'burbs north of it) to do this work, or advice on finding a good shop? Is repairpal.com a good site to use for finding shops?
f) In general, what's involved in fixing leaks like this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
838 Posts
...where are you as heat/cold might have an impact on the life of those seals. Mine ehhh..wife's....is mostly used for short trips as depicted by the low mileage .after 8 years....so no sign of leaks at this time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts