Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! First time poster.
1990 Geo Tracker 4x4 1.6l with a/c
Replaced the water pump last night and when reinstalling the tensioner and the spring. I removed the bolt that is in the center of the cover that also helps support the tensioner spring. Well long story short..that said bolt is stripped out on the block or pump now. And there is no means to tighten it. The tensioner pulley and that bolt are fine and tightened down. Is this going to cause timing problems or anything?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Do not leave it unsecured, it may drop and fall into the oil sump or entangle in the TB..

I would install the bolt in a bed of JB weld, or drill, tap and install an insert....

It is imperative that the TB be tensioned by the spring action ONLY, NO FINGERS!

.... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the very timely response, Philip. I am confident the bolt will not fall off, it is still threaded into the pump. What do you mean "no fingers". Does this bolt require to be tightened back down to hold the tension? The plate that is behind the tensioner pulley doesn't seem it wants to budge once tightened down.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Thank you for the very timely response, Philip. I am confident the bolt will not fall off, it is still threaded into the pump. What do you mean "no fingers". Does this bolt require to be tightened back down to hold the tension? The plate that is behind the tensioner pulley doesn't seem it wants to budge once tightened down.
During the tension adjustment action, the tension hold bolt should be loose so that when the crank is rotated (by hand) the timing belt slack is taken up by the spring pressure ONLY (no assist from fingers), after 2 revolutions the tensioner hold down bolt must be secured so that the belt tension is retained....

.... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 32258

Bolt or Stud? The Bolt is tight the stud is not. Sorry, just making sure I have the same understanding. The car is my dad's and is at his house. Difficult for me to get there and he needs to be mobile again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tensioner Stud is loose but the Tensioner Bolt is tight. Is this going to lead to a problem? Since the tensioner stud and spring are only there for the initial tightening of the belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts