Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before we get started I'm aware my starter is shot!! Lol I have one in order... Now to my issue
1.6l 16v idle issue: 1.6l 16v idle issue - YouTube
Its worth noting this issue is less prominent when its warm bogs less but still not 100% it drives with moderate power loss...

Also this issue started after a relatively deep water crossing (head light level) and yes I'm snorkeled.. But I checked both oil and air box.. Clean and dry...

I thought maybe fouled plug.. So I changed for new plugs. Checked spark.. Orange... So I checked resistance of wires.. Readings are

1 is 4.62
2 3.84
3 3.06
4 is 2.61
I believe those to be in spec...
Cap and rotor appear to be fine..

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Also tried to get a reading from the coil using the br/wh wire and the copper lead.. 16.53
Ohms is what I got... Don't know if that's spec :unsure:
[/URL][/IMG]

I was thinking the tps till I noticed the spark... Thoughts???

This is the pig in question it still had enough power to play Jeep Lol
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,262 Posts
Time to check the engine timing, sounds like the belt may have jumped a tooth or two...

... Philip

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could that cause a bad spark... I've got a spare belt just incase.. Just not a procedure I'm familiar with :(

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,262 Posts
Could that cause a bad spark... I've got a spare belt just incase.. Just not a procedure I'm familiar with :(
Pull a compression test and report the numbers.. (wet and dry).

... Philip

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That will be a few days away... As I'm currently at work.. But I will do that and report my findings... Till then opened to other suggestions as well thanks

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
That would be for OEM leads.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ this is for OEM leads. If you have aftermarket leads then they may well not have the same resistance.

Ohhhhh gotcha wires are NGK and the coil is factory.... To the best of my knowledge... I'm also not sure of the correct reading from that

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
One thing we can be sure of is the result of a compression test, as Aqua suggested.....:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
One thing we can be sure of is the result of a compression test, as Aqua suggested.....:)
It will be done Monday when I get home Lol maybe even tomorrow,, not that I doubt anyone's advice.. But how would compression give me weak spark ??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So ran a compression test and the results are as fallows

Cyl 1
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl 2
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl 3
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl 4
[/URL][/IMG]

Now who wants to decode my findings plz :D lol

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
First, I'll 'decode' by writing them down:
165, 155, 155, 150.
And I'll ask - when you did the compression test, presumably all spark plugs were out, your battery was well charged, you pulled the F1 fuse, and your floored the gas pedal while you were cranking for best compression (not doing this decreases the psi by about 20 psi or so). And was your car warm or stone cold? Your engine is the 16v, so on a warm engine, you should be pulling about 190 psi on all cylinders (and about 170 on a stone cold one).
Also, did you try the wet test - a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder to see if the compression value comes up??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First, I'll 'decode' by writing them down:
165, 155, 155, 150.
And I'll ask - when you did the compression test, presumably all spark plugs were out, your battery was well charged, you pulled the F1 fuse, and your floored the gas pedal while you were cranking for best compression (not doing this decreases the psi by about 20 psi or so). And was your car warm or stone cold? Your engine is the 16v, so on a warm engine, you should be pulling about 190 psi on all cylinders (and about 170 on a stone cold one).
Also, did you try the wet test - a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder to see if the compression value comes up??

Well the only one I got right was a warm engine.... And even then it wasn't running temperature but the needle had lifted... .

.... Back to the shop I go lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sooooo round two I'll make two post here first will be dry compression results second will be wet....
Cyl1
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl2
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl3
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl4
[/URL][/IMG] again that's dry readings

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
And we're test...

Cyl 1
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl 2
[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl3

[/URL][/IMG]

Cyl4
[/URL][/IMG]

I see the difference... Not sure why.. I speculated the oil helps seal the rings ??

Also.... In addition... I decided to dump a bunch of throttle body cleaner down the intake.. Results where it stopped bogging out under full throttle.. And became responsive again... Buuut it started idling rough.. And popinf from the intake... So after completing the second compression test. I put the old spark plugs back in checked the spark.. A nice bright blue spark... Power came back.. And no bogging... FFS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts