Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heya, just bought a sierra off ebay and traveled in 1000km back to my home without it missing a beat. so far very happy, but.

1990 suzuki sierra manual 1.3 carb 4x4

now whenever i start the car and go to take off it drops in revs and stalls.
so i thought it might not be warm.
i start the car in gear, clutch in and wait for 10 mins...
go to take off and revs drop and stalls
then i start car again and put in neutral and as i release the clutch the car drops in revs and stalls.
previously ive kangaroo hoped it up the road and once she gets going theres no stoping her.

can you guys point me in the right direction?
i thought it might of been the fuel pump but having the drop revs and stall when not in gear and releasing clutch makes me think different...
is there a choke or something? i have a switch that looks like its been added and i dont know what its for but could this be the choke/preheater? im in australia and yeah its winter but it cant be that cold for it.

cheers in advance for your info and this will be my first trouble shoot for a sierra ever :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
This is a predominantly US based forum so there may not be many people on here who know what a Sierra is. I'm guessing that is an SJ413 but I don't know which carn you have. The autochoke is usually activated by a thermostatic valve and is mounted on the side of the carb.They waterways can get choked up and you can also get air locks that prevent the coolant passing through the carb body/manifold.
You should have a fuel shut off valve on the carb as well as an idle up, these can give problems.
I would also check that the main earth strap between the engine and the battery is good, a bad strap may give an earthing issue, sometimes the engine earths out through the clutch cable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a sierra and also had this problem. I thought it was the fuel pump. I found out its the thing that controls the ideal speed was lose and had to adjust it. I have it set high but when i have the a/c on it acts perfectly fine. So i would go and try adjusting that not positive as mines automatic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts