Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 Samurai hard top. I am pretty sure it is having carburator problems. Rebuild it? Buy a rebuilt? Buy a new one? Junk yard carb? I need advise. The truck is getting real bad gas mileage, has no power and idles very low when it wants but not consistantly. We just installed a new air filter, no change. HELP!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Sammi that I recently purchased, also a hard top - not that it matters, was doing that same thing. Then I noticed that the temperature gauge never came up to temp so I decided to see if it had a thermostat in it, because I live in the desert I've seen a lot of people remove them which is a bad idea. Anyway, what I found was a thermostat that was stuck open and with the cool weather we've been having the engine never totally warmed up so it was running half choked all the time. When I purchased the vehicle the last owner, who had own it for about 6 months, told me that it was good for off road, but that he could never get it over 50mph on the highway so it was best to stay on side streets. The day we put the thermostat in it I got it up to 80mph on the way home! Yes, I've also replaced the 02 sensor, PCV value, cap, rotor, wires and a couple of other items - however, I did those items as a general tune up and they're cheap anyway, but the thermostat make a huge different since the stock carburator is warmed up the water from the cooling system...

David

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would ck the thermostat also. If you live where emmision testing is not a problem an aftermarket carb would be a good choice also. I have a Weber on mine it works fine, and I have seen many reports that the myside/harley/kehein setup is very good also.
IF you have to stay with the stock carb it can be rebuilt cheaply as long as the electronic parts are ok, but it is very complicated with all the linkage and electronics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts