Suzuki Forums banner

Ignition Timing 1996 Tracker LSI

5K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Keep On Trackin 
#1 ·
A little mid range valve clatter. Downloaded the manual. Thought I would check the timing. I cannot locate the "Duty Cycle Data Link Connector". It's supposed to be next to the battery.
Thanks in advance for any help.

#3 ·
I was going to give that port a try. Two different manuals talk about a "4 port" and a "6 port" link. The 6 port manual stated 5 points of contact. Mine only uses 4.
Thanks, Lars

#4 ·
I’m assuming that your ‘1986 Geo Tracker’ is a typo. So I imagine that this is a 1996. Is that correct? If so, you need to have a scanner (or at least a code reader) in order to get your codes. From 1996 on, the Geo is OBD2.

#5 ·
True, but even OBD2 needs a jumper to get static timing when you put a timing light on it.

#9 ·
Had a hard time figuring out how to make my "Signature". Title of thread is correct. Thanks for the heads up. I have a scanner but there are no Codes to rectify.

#6 ·
True. Regarding the original poster’s issue, he would need to jump the blue/red wired pin to the black wired pin in the diagnostic connector - immaterial if it’s 4 or 6 pin - it’s still the same wires that are needed to isolate the ECU.

#14 ·
The manual I downloaded made no mention of "blue/red". The diagrams showed which pins to jump. The 6 pin diagram used numbers to show which pins to jump. The 4 pin diagram used letters to do the same. The port I used did not have one of the wires as indicated by the diagrams. My experience with Timing Smog Motors is varied. Some remove an existing jumper. Some move an existing jumper. Some use a jumper wire.

#12 ·
Received this car in bad shape. Replaced Cam and Crank seals, timing belt, tensioner, water pump,fuel regulator and rodded out the EGR system. After replacing the Timing Belt I wanted to check the timing. The EGR system was a clogged up mess. Clatter may be due to a carbon issue. Shade Tree mechanic since 1964 but I still have room to learn.

#17 ·
Read on and learn. "When you ASSUME, you..."

#16 ·
Yes. See next message

#18 ·
Slightly different than my wifes Xterra. Base timing was good, distributor was shot. All good diagnostics start with knowing the condition of the basics.

#21 ·
I am also a shade tree mechanic, I work under a Japanese red maple.. best for working Asian vehicles. I have some pine, ceder and chestnut for the others..
First engine rebuild was a 4cyl Ford consul in 1962..(fathers ride), I was 14 at the time...
I am a retired mechanical/electrical engineer ... so there is still room to learn..

This is the way I would approach the issue, especially since you have eluded to both static valve timing and electrical ignition timing..

Install a pressure transducer in cyl #1 and a trigger on the ignition for #1... the transducer will record the suck, squeeze, push and blow, (4 stroke timing) and the trigger will record the fire incident (bang) on the same graph of a scope..
No need to get dirty...

#24 ·
Ill give this a shot. As far as dirty? I just planted a Japanese Red Maple...

#28 ·
And as you’re talking about valve ‘clatter’, I’d also ask if you ever checked your valve lash.

#31 ·
The engine purrs like a kitten. Runs strong. The clatter happens when engine is warm and going up a grade. I will get around to checking the valve lash. This reminds me of an engine, many years ago, that had weak valve springs. But again, the EGR system was a plugged up mess. This may be a carbon problem.

#32 ·
x2 on Valve lash but also, what octane gas are you running? My '96 always pinged uphill on 87 octane. Not really sure why, timing was spot on & engine properly tuned etc... it just hated 87. 89 or 92 octane = no ping at all. My guess is it didn't like the ethanol blend we are forced to buy.

#33 ·
This was another thing that I was thinking about. I first noticed this after a fill up. I thought "Did I just get some shi**y gas?". The next tank seemed to be better. Now it is often. Might try some octane booster...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.