Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Samurai. I'm having a problem with the ignition switch sticking in the start position. I think I need to remove the portion of the switch that turns when you turn the key. Once that is done I think it's just a matter of cleaning it. Does anyone know how to remove the key cylinder of the ignition switch?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You may be able to free up the sticking lock cylinder without removing it. I'd start by trying a liquid graphite product called "Lock-Ease", available at NAPA and Ace hardware, among others. It's in a blue and white can. It's graphite in a petroleum solvent suspension, which evaporates, leaving the graphite behind.

I first used it in Africa, 41 years ago, to flush out and lubricate motorcycle throttle and brake cables. I wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. Haven't heard of the stuff, but will look for it. However, I thought about using a liquid base lubricant, but I tried to fix the problem using powered graphite and now I'm afraid any liquid based lubricant will cause the powered graphite to gum up making matters worse.

I'm surprised I haven't heard from someone on removing the key cylinder from the switch. In most cars it's easy to do. Surely someone knows how to do it.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still need info on key barrel removal

Still hoping someone can help me on removing the ignition switch cylinder removal. I need to get the barrel out that holds the tumblers.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if you have solved your problem?

I too am having problems, first with the so called "clicky starter" issue, and now with the starter hanging up upon starting and release of the key. I believe the problem is in the switch.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Skip

·
Registered
293 Posts
If the key is not returning to the run position, then the problem is probably with your ignition pigtail switch which connects to the back of the key/tumbler part of the switch. If either are gummed up, you could probably soak it in brake or carb cleaner to clean it out.

Image courtesy of Hawk's Suzuki Parts. Not a recommendation, but they do list one.

Or get a complete new switch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts