Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Suzuki Forenza SW do not release the key after car is parked with transmission lever in park position.
The only way to get the key from steering column is when I move the transmission lever sideways. Then I can hear a clicking noise and when the lever is 1/4" pushed to the right side my key will come out.
I believe that the problem is some adjustment on the transmission cable but as I never adjusted cables on Suzuki I need some help with the following items:
1- Where is the adjustment cable, at transmission or at the lever?
2- If at the transmission, how to access the adjustment system?
3- Is this adjustment 100% mechanic or electric?
4- What is the easy way to get it done on DIY method? (I have a very good skill working on other cars like Mercedes Benz)

Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi welcome to the forum. you only need to post a question one time someone will see it :) so now to your question. your key being stuck isnt related to you TRS. its actually related to your shifter. if your shifter isnt all the way to the left the key wont come out. there is a spring inside the console that pulls the shifter back into the park position. your spring is probably either broken or worn out. its a little spring connected to the shift lever and the shift mechanism. you should be able to get one from a dealer. let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 7-even
Now, please let me know how to remove the console and, in case the spring not broken, if there are some adjustment that can be made.
As I said before the key will come out when I push the shifter about 1/4" to the right (towards the passenger). Do you think it is too far out to the park position or too far in to the park position?
Your help is very appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi. there is no adjustment that can be made. if the spring is broken or worn out it needs to be replaced. theres a possibility that something else might have broken. there was a forum member that had a different part brake in the same location. youll just have to open it up and take a look to see what the problem is. heres a link to the online service manual. im sure it can help with taking the console out.
Daewoo Service Manual
it comes out fairly easily. i think two screws on the back side. then the armrest pulls backward. it should expose two more screws that were under the cup holder. i think theres also two more further up on the console by the drivers and passengers foot. anything else just ask!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the same problem only when I press the brake the shifter comes completely loose from its socket. It's to the point where if I shift, it can be heard coming from under the vehicle I've read a few places that it might have something to do with the mechanism underneath the car, I don't have a lift to get under safely so I've been forced to leave it as it is.

I took a look at that service manual and after looking at an unrelated engine part I see that the diagram on the right has 6 spark plugs, where I've only got a 4cyl dohc..so Im a little concerned as far as the accuracy goes..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried this thing but did not worked for me. In my case the brake has nothing related with ignition key. The only thing that helps me is playing with the lifter side to side in the parking position. I still not receiving any post from my last thread about "Suzuki Overheat"
If you have some answer about that, please let me know.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi Nyko46 i told you what you need to do about the shifter. i cant help you if your not going to check the mechanism and see if the spring is broken. we cant get any farther until we know that info. also both of your other posts were answered the one about the coolant sensor and the one about the fans. you should go check them and see what was said.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi Nathan. what car do you have year, auto or manual? were going to need this info. if its an auto transmission there is no mechanism under the car? you dont need a lift to get under the car. you could use a jack and jack stands to safely hold up the car. if you looked at the manual posted above its accurate. it was either a generic diagram where the amount of cylinders didnt matter or had to do with something else. if you have a manual car something could be wrong with your shift linkage, if auto your shifter mechanism. you either need to get under the car or into the center console. it could be dangerous if the shifter brakes and the car is stuck in gear. let us know the info so we can try and help you out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi 7-even, I've got an 07' Suzuki Forenza, automatic transmission. And I was looking at an unrelated part when i said something about the manual.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I thought I had the same problem as the op.

When I press my brake pedal to move my lever from park the lever itself comes loose from the park position. And usually when I am trying to get my key out of the ignition it gets stuck until I force the lever to the left and release my brake pedal. Interestingly everything was fine until I went into a small shop for some used tires last summer, and as soon as i got into my car and pulled out, this started happening. And my center console is certainly loose.

You think its the mechanism?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello 7 even I tried to check the suggested catalog but it did not opened properly.
I will try again. Thanks for your message.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi Nyko46 taking out the center console is fairly easy. you should be able to do it without the manual. pull the front seats all the forward and remove the rear screws. then move the front seats backward. slide the armrest back and up. this will reveal two more screws then there are i think just two on the front sides of the console removing the screws should allow you to lift up and backward the console around the shifter. there are a couple of wires so make sure you dont rip anything out. theres one in front for the auxiliary plug and i think one in the middle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your information.
I will do it tomorrow because I am off of work and my time will be more to deal with it.
I hope to get it done completely. Investigating the console of the car I noticed that the ball of the transmission lever seems like not to be threaded and I was wondering how to get that removed in order to take the console all the way out of the way.
Can you tell me something about that?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. You don't Need to take the shifter off. The shifter surround is a seperate part from the console. So you should be able to take the console off no, problem. The shifter handle isn't easy to take off and might brake while doing so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 7-even.
I will go to do it today. I hope nothing gets damaged while repairing this issue.
This is my first time dealing with this kind of problem. I have been worked a lot on my two diesel Mercedes Benz and as they are old cars the room to work on their engine and body is very big and it helps to get around easily.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi. You don't Need to take the shifter off. The shifter surround is a seperate part from the console. So you should be able to take the console off no, problem. The shifter handle isn't easy to take off and might brake while doing so.
Hello 7-even and others from forum
It was really easy to remove the console. Thanks to all.
I found under the console a broken electric switch that will release the key from ignition.
The switch is kept in place by a locking clip which broke and does not hold the switch in place. The switch has as identification this numbers: A4H4 and the same switch is connect to a larger electric connector
Any idea where to find it other than dealer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi. Yes that's the other part that can brake!! Glad you figured it out. You could try RockAuto Parts Catalog or Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store both pretty good sites. Let us know what happens.
I tried to hold that in place using a wood shim but it seems to have a very precise position to allow the shifter to touch with accuracy. Anyway, it worked for a while but the problem started again. About the online catalogs, how should I name that "switch" and in which category (transmission, body electric, etc.) will this part be located?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi, im not positive what the switch is but if you go to RockAuto Parts Catalog search for your car then go to electrical switch and relay. ok did a little research and heres what im thinking it might be the btsi solenoid this is the brake, transmission, shift, interlock solenoid. i actually ran across this,
http://www.justanswer.com/car/4wwuj-just-told-shifter-solenoid-2005-suzuki-forenza.html
iits the same part and aparently there was a recall on it. read through the recall maybe you can get it fixed for free.. also the part number for the assembly is listed in the post. i think if you went to a dealer you can get the part or you could try calling suzukicarparts.com if the part is available they should be able to get it for you. keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi, im not positive what the switch is but if you go to RockAuto Parts Catalog search for your car then go to electrical switch and relay. ok did a little research and heres what im thinking it might be the btsi solenoid this is the brake, transmission, shift, interlock solenoid. i actually ran across this,
http://www.justanswer.com/car/4wwuj-just-told-shifter-solenoid-2005-suzuki-forenza.html
iits the same part and aparently there was a recall on it. read through the recall maybe you can get it fixed for free.. also the part number for the assembly is listed in the post. i think if you went to a dealer you can get the part or you could try calling suzukicarparts.com if the part is available they should be able to get it for you. keep us updated on the progress.
That information on "justanswer" was just great and the description of the problem is identical to my problem. The next step will be to call my local Suzuki dealer to see what they have as an answer. I hope they can replace this part for free and I get this issue resolved. This same car had a recall for some suspected switch under the dashboard not working properly but I still not bringing the car for my dealer. As I said, yesterday I placed that switch in place using a small piece of wood as shim but the problem returned as before. This morning I was to go back to work on my car when I decided to check new posts about it and then I found this very helpful post including the link to the recall from Suzuki about the same problem that I am facing for few weeks. I really appreciated all help and hints about this issue.
Thanks to all and I will keep an updated information about this subject.
Thanks again

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi 7-Even and others:
I just called Suzuki and set an appointment t bring my car to they to check the problem.
By phone I explained the problem and they said that they do not remember any recall about this but, anyway they want to see the car and they will go from there.
They also will check the last recall splice pack which may have high resistance.
I hope these people can get it repaired at no cost. I maybe need some help from this forum about the technical explanation for this problem. I will be there Saturday 05/11
Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts