Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I wasnt sure if that was it. Have you had any experience with these things? Some people are telling me thats what is wrong with my sammy. I drive it for a bit and the motor stops. Everything else works but the engine. It cranks but wont start for a while. Then it does. Any info is apreciated...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know about spark, Im usually by myself. What happens is I will be driving for a bit and the engine will stop running. Radio, lights all work. The engine just stops, Itll crank it just wont turnover. I wait for about 20 min to a half hour, it starts and I drive home. Can you think of anything else it might be?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I dont know about spark, Im usually by myself. What happens is I will be driving for a bit and the engine will stop running. Radio, lights all work. The engine just stops, Itll crank it just wont turnover. I wait for about 20 min to a half hour, it starts and I drive home. Can you think of anything else it might be?
Sounds like the typical symptoms when a coil is going bad. Get hots, expands and develops a short.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Haptown Im not young and I dont see what my age has got anything to do with it. I came on here to look for help with my samurai, you want to help great, you dont then dont. I know my way around an engine and all I was stating was I never heard of it. That doesnt make me stupid or "young", just not knowing that can happen. I apreciate all the help, but dont knock me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No Haptown Im not young and I dont see what my age has got anything to do with it. I came on here to look for help with my samurai, you want to help great, you dont then dont. I know my way around an engine and all I was stating was I never heard of it. That doesnt make me stupid or "young", just not knowing that can happen. I apreciate all the help, but dont knock me.
Didn't mean to insult you, but these old trucks were one of the last to use the old can type coils, and the windings tend to fail just as you described.

·
Super Moderator
12,162 Posts
The coil is a possible failure point, and so is the ignition module - I believe coils are easier to obtain and less expensive so swap that out first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the samurai out the other day, drove around town for about an hour and no problem. Next gonna go on a freeway run and see how it does. Thanks Haptown, so far so good...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Took the samurai out the other day, drove around town for about an hour and no problem. Next gonna go on a freeway run and see how it does. Thanks Haptown, so far so good...
So. . . . .How did it go? Did the new coil solve the problem? Don't be too quick to blame the ignition module. There are some other things you can look at first.

I've only had one module failure, in the last 41 years of driving. A 1976 Corvette, with GM HEI ignition. Started to miss at high rpm and failed a couple of days later. No start.

I've had four coils go bad. The latest was on my FJ40 Toyota (I just swapped in a GM HEI). Others were on a Jeep CJ5 (x2) and 48 International.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Azelgin, Im happy to say it ran good. Took it on the backroads for a while, and it ran good. So I think the new coil worked, thanks to you and Haptown I can start driving it without worry its gonna die and save on gas money too. I drive 50 miles a day to and from from work, and since the sammy was down, I was driving my Dodge Ram with a v10 engine. Ugh..Thanks again, talk to ya later than sooner...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts