Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Samurai. I have no spark out of the distributor. The coil is sending spark to the distributor. The rotor and distributor cap seem fine. When I rotate the #1 cylinder to Top Dead Center, the rotor is at the correct position in the distributor.
Could the electronic ignition be telling the coil to fire at the wrong time, even if the timing at the distributor is correct?

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
The electronic ignition is contained entirely in the distributor - so no - it's firing at the correct time, based on the "cam" in the distributor - chances are you have either a defective cap or rotor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had Similar problem after dumping a g16a motor in. I ran a extra thick earth lead off the back of the dizzy (bottom bolt). All 2 mechanics and my self could figure out was it was stealing too much power on turn over to spark well.

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
morbo

I can't help but wonder if you were missing the block to battery negative lead - there is usually a heavy cable between the battery negative and one of the bellhousing bolts - it provides a return path for the starter current, and if it's missing (or not making proper contact) you'll get exactly the problem you describe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yah she was hooked up all right , Even started once, Got a feeling the 1.6 adapter plate was stopping good current flow. fortunately i have a old zook for parts in the paddock , Did the dizzy swap and all before we ran a second earth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts