Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a choice between the Ignis and Swift AllGrip when we bought our Suzuki. We liked the slightly more refined look and feel of the Swift but the airy, bright interior, funky looks and slightly more "off road" bias that won us over. If you want an AllGrip Swift it has to have the 1.2 non turbo mild hybrid unit in it, the same as the Ignis.

I have a Swift FWD Hybrid with the booster jet 1.0 for a couple of days and have had a good blast in it. The interior is definitely more sophisticated with much flashier graphics, a nicer wheel and a few extras, some of which are gimmicks like the power/torque meters! But it's very dark and sombre in there - the Ignis is much brighter and oddly feels more spacious despite the smaller boot.

The Swift is pleasant to drive - I'm not a fan (at all) of FWD but I haven't pushed it hard enough to notice any excessive understeer although the wheels do scrabble off the line from a standstill. It's a nice chassis though and doesn't feel as choppy as the Ignis. More sophisticated rear suspension helps here.

I hadn't realised the non AllGrip SHVS engine was the more powerful 1.0 Boosterjet unit - it really does push it along well once the revs have picked up - at low revs it's more lethargic but once that turbo kicks in, it pulls hard. There's a touch of turbo lag but nothing intrusive. The brakes are also stronger too - our Ignis brakes are being looked at but they need more power and it's a real shame they have such budget rear drums; they just aren't very good in any application.

Visibility isn't as good in the Swift and you can't escape that darkness but it does have better safety kit (active cruise, parking sensors - I think! etc).

The Swift looks good too but it's doesn't have that "different" quirkiness of the Ignis - it just disappears into a crowd of similar hatches.

So overall, the Swift is definitely "better" in some ways. It's a bit more "grown up" with a smarter dash and tech and I do like that more powerful engine.

But the quirky "mini SUV" looks and features (such as scuff guards all round) of the Ignis have still won us over. Plus the AllGrip Swift is heavier and slower. If I could I'd drop the 1.0 turbo unit in and upgrade to disk brakes all round I would but I can't so I won't!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Overwhelming response to both posts. Much appreciated.
I've only just seen this. I noticed the front wheel scrabble a lot in the Ignis where I got none of that in the Celerio. Is the Swift a bit wider than Ignis. I have a pretty narrow drive to negotiate to park - we call it a ginnel - so much wider than Celerio becomes a pain.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes a bit wider with fatter tyres.

Just had a classic moment where the Ignis truly shone; incredibly busy at a remote surf spot with nowhere to park except for our car; up a very tight, steep track into a field.

Not much would have made it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes a bit wider with fatter tyres.

Just had a classic moment where the Ignis truly shone; incredibly busy at a remote surf spot with nowhere to park except for our car; up a very tight, steep track into a field.

Not much would have made it.
Looks good. I advocate full time 4WD these days. unfortunately the Ignis does not come in 4WD AND auto.:mad::(

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely some odd spec decisions. Want a hybrid Swift but 4wd? You can only have “our” 1.2 non turbo motor. Not fussed about 4wd? You get the much pokier 1.0 turbo engine!
Similar with the Ignis but perhaps the auto isn’t compatible with the fairly basic 4wd system?

I’ve also used for a Coastguard shout in a beach (bumpy and crossed a stream); it worked well!

·
Registered
17 Posts
But the quirky "mini SUV" looks and features (such as scuff guards all round) of the Ignis have still won us over. Plus the AllGrip Swift is heavier and slower. If I could I'd drop the 1.0 turbo unit in and upgrade to disk brakes all round I would but I can't so I won't!
I was in the same situation, choosing between the Swift and Ignis (both AllGrip) - my wife made the decision - the Ignis has more room inside, AND more importantly, it is higher to get in and out of (my wife has a bad foot, so she tried both while I were looking at a Swift, and the Ignis was a lot easier for her).

Interestingly my boss/friend has a Vitara, and his girlfriend has borrowed it to go on holiday, and left him her Honda - I'm not sure what model, a CRV something like that) - and we nipped for a 'corporate breakfast' in it yesterday :D

I couldn't believe how hard it was to get in and out of - I wouldn't want one as a gift!.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Five weeks of touring Europe in our 2.7 tonne VW California later, it's nice to be bombing around in the little Ignis which was safely stored in a barn while we travelled.

New shocks going on on the 10th; should be a useful improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts