Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the Suzuki folks are fixing my Ignis I have been given a Swift SZ5 to use.
At first I rather liked it enough to think maybe I should upgrade until 20 mins had passed after which time I was not so impressed.:mellow:

From the get go I did not like the rock hard steering wheel but legroom was good. I discovered the paddles halfway home (it takes over an hour to get home) which on my Xbox I love to use but the novelty soon wore off on the Swift.;)

I was able to have the window fully down even at 70 and it did not blow my wig off unlike the Ignis which almost takes my head off at speeds over 25mph.:eek:

The worst part though was road noise from the tyres. It is almost as bad as the Celerio was with certain surfaces almost enough to give a person a headache. Just on that alone the Swift is a no no for me.

Also I felt like I was sitting on the tarmac..............all way too low for me. So when I come to get out my knees take a beating while I try to get upright.:lol::lol:

Talking of sitting, the seats felt too hard; reminiscent of the Celerio seats so that after an hour I want to get out and stop the numb bum feeling. The passenger does not like the seat sides, great for stopping her from slithering about on hard cornering but otherwise a pain.

I did appreciate the performance; overtaking the dawdlers was better although I am not too sure that it is that much better than the Ignis but hey, it all helps.;)

It all adds up to this being a young man boy racer inclined vehicle and after an hour I had determined I would keep the Ignis thank you!:eek:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I was able to have the window fully down even at 70 and it did not blow my wig off unlike the Ignis which almost takes my head off at speeds over 25mph.:eek:
The trick is to own a 4 door hatch and open the back window, or simply open the passenger side windows - I know, because I did country commutes in Hell (QLD Aus in Summer with no AC).

It all adds up to this being a young man boy racer
I don't know what bubble you are in, but the Swift is a know "girl's car"! ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trick is to own a 4 door hatch and open the back window, ]

I did that in my Celerio and almost lost my eardrums.:lol::lol:
I tried it in the Ignis and with the rear windows open about 5% it works a bit.;)

I don't know what bubble you are in, but the Swift is a know "girl's car"! ;)
Yes I felt that as I drove it but hey, it still goes like boy racer kit.:eek:.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yep, eardrums in Ignis - I forgot to mention experimenting with partially winding up driver window with backs open helps when you find the ideal open'ness amount! It's trial and error. Even putting my arm up, next to B pillar stops a lot of noise.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, eardrums in Ignis - I forgot to mention experimenting with partially winding up driver window with backs open helps when you find the ideal open'ness amount! It's trial and error. Even putting my arm up, next to B pillar stops a lot of noise.
It is time for some wind deflectors but finding them in clear is taking a long time.:eek:

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
its called Helmholtz Resonance and it can actually shatter windows in the car if you hit that "sweet spot"

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
So the Wind violently directed into my ear hole beside the open window is not called Buffeting?
nope, its technical description is Helmholtz Resonance and is the sound and vibration made when air flows over an opening into a cavity, like blowing across an open bottle neck.

"Buffeting" (noun) is the action of striking someone or something repeatedly and violently.
Buffet (verb) is to strike repeatedly and violently

its a great day when you learn something new.

so your ear my be being buffeted but the cause is from the resonance striking you

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think in the case of an open window - Helmholtz could be the reason with the turbulence being the main factor, as my ear hole will be in the flow of wind directed in and out and my Eardrum certainly does not like it!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To add my 5 pence worth - the sound I get is like you hear when someone is whacking you on the head near the ear with a long toilet roll centre like you get when you have used all of your Xmas wrapping paper.;):D:lol:

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
To add my 5 pence worth - the sound I get is like you hear when someone is whacking you on the head near the ear with a long toilet roll centre like you get when you have used all of your Xmas wrapping paper.;):D:lol:
thats helmholtz resonance to a "T" crack another window (preferably a rear one) and it disappears

its painful and annoying

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats helmholtz resonance to a "T" crack another window (preferably a rear one) and it disappears

its painful and annoying
LOL
It is opening a rear window that causes it.:lol::lol::lol:

My Pajero has wind deflectors and I don't get any of this trouble.

The Swift is brilliant as it doesn't happen at any speed with the window even wide open.;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
No - you open a rear window slightly (say 1/4) - and then you can open the front window as much as you like. But then front window does have to be open too.

It's affected all cars I've owned though admittedly I've never had wind deflectors...

·
Registered
420 Posts
A big reason in my case why I didn't consider a Suzuki Swift - apart from being a bit "ordinary" - is its sky high insurance groups.

I was surprised that the Ignis was Group 17 considering it was replacing a top-of-the-range Qashqai Tekna on Group 15.

But the Suzuki Swift even in its basic SZ3 form is Group 22, the SZ5 is Group 23 or 27 depending on engine and the Sport is Group 35. How can they be so high?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No - you open a rear window slightly (say 1/4) - and then you can open the front window as much as you like. But then front window does have to be open too.

It's affected all cars I've owned though admittedly I've never had wind deflectors...
In the Celerio any setting of openness at the rear window with any combination of openness on the front did it. The Ignis is not so bad but that still applies while the Swift had none of it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was surprised that the Ignis was Group 17 considering it was replacing a top-of-the-range Qashqai Tekna on Group 15.
Groups lose me; I never understand the real terms meaning.........is the Ignis more than the Swift then? I got my quotes for my Iggy insurance (I checked the "a Spokesman Said" and the usual suspects like the Meerkat) slightly (a few quid) less than the Celerio but I paid through the nose for swapping. I should have ended the current insurance and gone for new but it was just a bit counter productive to do that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well 1 is cheap and 50 is expensive...

How are car insurance groups decided?

Insurance grouping is decided by the group rating panel, made up of members of the Association of British Insurers and the Lloyds Market Association) and supported by Thatcham Research. The panel decides which insurance group new car models fall into based on the following factors:

New car values: The price of a new car and its specifications are a guide to potential replacement and repair costs
Damage and parts costs: The likely extent of damage to each model and the price of the parts involved also indicate repair costs, and lower costs usually mean a lower group rating
Parts prices: A list of 23 common parts is used to compare one manufacturer’s parts costs to another
Repair times: Long repair times mean higher costs and a higher group rating. According to Thatcham Research, over half of all money paid out in motor insurance claims goes on repairing cars – so the cost of spare parts and repair times are major factors in pricing motor insurance
Performance: High-performance cars are at higher risk of frequent insurance claims, so acceleration and top speed are taken into account
Safety: Vehicles fitted with AEB (autonomous emergency braking) systems are more likely to avoid low-speed front-to-rear accidents and could make for a lower insurance group rating
Bumper compatibility: The alignment and structure of bumpers is a factor
Car security: Cars with security features, such as alarm or immobilisation systems and high-security door locks, could enjoy a lower insurance group. But if you lose a key or fob it will be more expensive to replace.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well 1 is cheap and 50 is expensive...
Yeah but there seems no rhyme nor reason to it all.:rolleyes:
I have key replacement coverage in my Gold AA.:cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wife's just renewed her Ignis insurance. She was with admiral and had a "for information only" type thing she had to declare. Wasn't even a claim for any money whatsoever. When her renewal came it quoted almost £500. Lol.

Shopped around and Churchill came in at sub £300

I only pay £300 for my modified Octavia vRS. Admittedly it's a 2010 car. But I declared all mods, extra power, everything. I can't understand how a little "city car" like an Ignis can be quoted so highly tbh. I guess costs of parts may be higher due to Japan being at the other side of the world. But is the risk of an incident with the demographic who probably drive an Ignis compared to a "hot hatch" justifying a higher insurance cost. I also understand that the Ignis is worth more than my Octavia. But it still seems steep.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts