Suzuki Forums banner

Ignis suspension problems

12K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  helijohn 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The article says:

The upgrades have been applied to series-production Allgrip four-wheel drive models since the end of 2017 and are available as a retrofit for owners of older models.

This suggests it's just for Allgrip models prior to 2018

#4 ·
And I just about guarantee it will be at your cost too......retrofit sort of shouts "we have a solution, but since you didn't complain when you bought it....."

#6 ·
I hate to say it, Suzuki NZ are letting the side down as far as customer service is concerned, they're actually helpful.....

#8 ·
This is an expensive upgrade so worth getting it done before the 3 year warranty runs out. It's easy to check if your car has the upgraded suspension just by looking at the rear shock absorbers - there's pictures of the original and upgraded units on this site. You're more likely to get the upgrade if you complain that the car clatters and bangs over bumps when fully laden. Just telling your dealer that you're aware of an upgrade to the suspension is unlikely to cut it.

#10 ·
Hi Breese,
as you seem to have helpful and friendly dealers/ support from Suzuki over there, could you confirm exactly which components will be replaced by them. There have been reports of all four shock absorbers (and front bump stops) being changed, but also some people seem to think only the rears were done. Here in the UK, the supplying dealer for my Ignis have been absolutely terrible and I wouldn't trust them to tell me the time of day so it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

#11 ·
Hi Breese,
as you seem to have helpful and friendly dealers/ support from Suzuki over there, could you confirm exactly which components will be replaced by them. There have been reports of all four shock absorbers (and front bump stops) being changed, but also some people seem to think only the rears were done. Here in the UK, the supplying dealer for my Ignis have been absolutely terrible and I wouldn't trust them to tell me the time of day so it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
No problem but its probably a month away from now, 28 feb 20.
cheers

#14 ·
Hi guys , I also run a 2017 Ignis sz5 allgrip and contacted my dealer today to see about getting it updated to the improved suspension. unfortunately they claimed they hadn't any info on this and my car was not showing as any pending recalls.
It has the smaller diameter rear shocks so assuming it needs the upgrade.
have any of you any further info on any reference numbers for this so I can give the dealer the info.

thanks for all the great posts I've found this forum a great source of info and also quite friendly.

#15 ·
As previously noted - I think that if you talk about an upgrade to many dealers - it will fall on deaf ears - the car wasn't subject to a recall and will not show up on a recall database. Suzuki will generally react if you complain about a specific issue with the car. The issue is that cars with the pre-upgrade suspension bang and clatter over bumps, especially when the car is fully loaded. This problem is very well known, so if this is the basis of your complaint and the dealer isn't aware of the solution - he will refer to Suzuki Technical who will authorise the upgrade if the car has the original suspension setup.

#16 ·
As previously noted - I think that if you talk about an upgrade to many dealers - it will fall on deaf ears - the car wasn't subject to a recall. Suzuki will generally react if you complain about a specific issue. The issue is that cars with the pre-upgrade suspension bang and clatter over bumps especially when the car is fully loaded. This problem is very well known, so if this is the basis of your complaint and the dealer isn't aware of the solution - he will refer to Suzuki Technical who will authorise the upgrade if the car has the original suspension setup.
cheers ,my car is booked in for a service on the 16th and they have added a note to say im not happy with the suspension bottoming out when rear passengers onboard so hopefully will know more once they have taken a look at it.

#21 ·
As described in the above posts - the shock absorbers on the Ignis were upgraded in early 2018 to overcome the issue of the suspension bottoming out over bumps particularly when laden. The upgrade was available under warranty for earlier cars on complaint to the dealer. Essentially the upgrade consists of 4 new shock absorbers and new rear bump-stops - around £700 fitted, retail price.

I recently bought a repairable Ignis registered in June 2017 and decided to upgrade the suspension at the same time as the repair. I toyed with the idea of registering my complaint with Suzuki before expiry of the warranty in order to get the work done when dealers reopened after the Covid lockdown, but for many reasons, I decided to go it alone and do the work now using components from a later Ignis. Essentially, as someone else on this forum has done - I purchased the two front struts and two rear shock absorbers from 2019 scrapped vehicles. (around £200 total vs £80 each just for the rear shock absorbers from Suzuki!)

On searching for upgraded shock absorbers - it became apparent that there was a wide window as to when the suspension of vehicles was upgraded in manufacture. I've seen cars registered as late as August 2018 with the original suspension setup. Obviously this could be related to date of manufacture rather than date of first registration. Suzuki insist on a dealer examining the car before authorising the upgrade under warranty.

The original and upgraded front shock absorbers + bump-stops are visually identical. The part numbers stamped on the body are different:
Original: Left front 41602-62R30, Right front 41601-62R30
Uprated: Left front 41602-62R60, Right front 41601-62R60

The original and upgraded rear shock absorbers and bump-stops are visually very different - the upgraded units are 50% greater in diameter and are stamped on the body 41810-62R60 (same unit on both sides).

It's interesting to note that all the above part numbers are unique to the Ignis - these parts are not listed for any other Suzuki cars. The numbers don't cross reference in shock absorber catalogues. Even though they're all stamped KYB - the latest KYB catalogue doesn't list the fitment.

The vast majority of Ignis cars with original suspension will be, or will shortly be, out of warranty and the above information may be useful to anyone undertaking the upgrade on their own account.

#22 ·
Strange how they will replace for free under warranty (a relativly small cost in the Big Picture), but it's not regarded as a safety issue, triggering a Mandatory Recall! I'm guessing - "OK, we will fix it under Warranty for you Sir/Madam, because if we don't, it might become an expensive and be damaging to Suzuki's good reputation Mandatory Recall if too many people complain." ??? Just saying! ;)

#24 ·
My dealer hasn’t heard of it either but looked into it and upgraded with no issues.
However when I checked with Suzuki UK, they were incredibly cagey. They are definitely trying to avoid a recall despite it definitely being a safety issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.