Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a gen1 2003 Ignis that is probably the most reliable car I've ever had, but... it now has huge whine in gears 1-3 - gearbox on its way out.

I'm finding it really hard to track down a replacement box that isn't going to cost more than my whole car did, but... I've seen an out-of-MOT gen2 2007 Ignis at an auction for possibly peanuts.

Would the box from the next-gen 2007 Ignis fit my 2003?

Many, many thanks for any advice. I'd love to keep this faithful old Ignis of mine on the road.

Cheers

Mac

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The only box that will suite must be fron a donor car that has the same engine. EG; M13A or M15A. NOT EITHER, MUST BE THE EXACT SAME. The engine type will be on the Makers plate on the firewall. Don't worry about the noise - just don't use engine braking and sacrifice your brake pads instead as those are cheap and easy to replace. It's the undersized input bearing (Test by press clutch when in neutral and noise goes away). They are ALL like that. I put 2 Spergy kids through driving lessons years ago in a M13A I have and they couldn't kill it until 5 years later when one of them cooked the engine. My personal M13A is the same and so is the replacement one I just gave to my son. Apparently it's an easy fix to swap the bearing once the gearbox is out.

Motor vehicle Handwriting Font Water Vehicle door

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, many thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. The noise does go away when the clutch is pressed, but what worries me is that there was no noise at all from the gearbox until the clutch was replaced about three months ago. So could something have been altered/ damaged during that, I wonder?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too hard to say. The Spigot Bearing may have been replaced with the wrong one. Do you notice any engine vibrations with clutch out at any speed?
Hi, thanks for the reply. No, none, no vibrations, just a grating noise when in gear (mostly 1 to 3).

(and, sorry, in the first post I put gen 1 and gen 2 but by gen 2 I just meant the updated model that came out after a few years with a slightly different body shape)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
just a grating noise when in gear (mostly 1 to 3).
Seems to be a standard feature with all of mine - none have failed over a long period. Passengers comment on the noise but the car just keeps going and I don't care because I really do have a lot of spares. Not knowing what your noise is does not indicate yours will not fail, but for me, I guess if I ddin't have those spares, the things would fail, like me taking an umbrella or rain coat to work where I am, it scares the rain away.

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha. Blimey. That's impressive. I bought mine about four years ago out of needs-must and, weirdly, it's turned out to be one of my favourite cars - in the way you might favour an old faithful donkey over a skittish racehorse. I've had more than a few skittish cars. The garage I talked to seem to think it wouldn't be long until something catastrophic happened gearbox-wise. But your experience seems to be the opposite.

I have to ask: do you have any spare, relatively low mileage gearboxes?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The garage I talked to seem to think it wouldn't be long until something catastrophic happened gearbox-wise. But your experience seems to be the opposite.
If it was a 1994 Hilux 4WD (7 boxes failed in 15 years is what happened to me), yes catastrophic quickly loosing all gears withinn a couple of days - it's "horses for courses". With the Ignis being so cheep, I just risked it and it never fails, but as I stated, I have lots of spares, so a cost RA lets me risk it - still waiting after many years for complete failure. Your mechanic is just just using General data, not 2000 Ignis data.

I have to ask: do you have any spare, relatively low mileage gearboxes?
No, nothing under 150K - 280K and I'm in Australia.

The input bearing is probably the culprit, as it's undersize for the job. As long as the bits don't jam the gears, then the noise is OK to me. If the bearing falls apart and the bits fall to the bottom of the box and do no damage jaming, then noise is all you get - like a dick in a shirt sleave, the input shaft rotates and is positioned bt the spigot bearing and clutch plate. The main gear box failures that are catastrophic are from shafts bending and gears striping - which I don't think is the case with the original Ignis because of the low engine power output. Yes. I'm a reckless "Cowboy" when it comes to cars - I'll see how far they can go with a stange noise!

Perhaps an oil change in the box will help, as I found, just make sure you can remove the filler lug before draining the oil out of the empty lug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, nothing under 150K - 280K and I'm in Australia.

The input bearing is probably the culprit, as it's undersize for the job. As long as the bits don't jam the gears, then the noise is OK to me. If the bearing falls apart and the bits fall to the bottom of the box and do no damage jaming, then noise is all you get - like a dick in a shirt sleave, the input shaft rotates and is positioned bt the spigot bearing and clutch plate. The main gear box failures that are catastrophic are from shafts bending and gears striping - which I don't think is the case with the original Ignis because of the low engine power output. Yes. I'm a reckless "Cowboy" when it comes to cars - I'll see how far they can go with a stange noise!

Perhaps an oil change in the box will help, as I found, just make sure you can remove the filler lug before draining the oil out of the empty lug.
Ah, I didn't notice your flag, so, even if you'd had a gearbox, postage would've been a f*cker. Thanks for the heads up, though. I mean, obviously I'm on a super tight budget otherwise I wouldn't be driving a 20-year old Ignis as my only car, but, as I say, I've grown weirdly fond of it - and if I ever win the lottery, I'd restore the whole damn thing from top to bottom. It's really surprisingly nippy too - the number of times I've beaten some flash-looking thing off the lights is hilarious, especially if it's a big Audi or BMW diesel that doesn't pick up quick. Quite good fun.

While I've got you here, could I pick your brain and ask: can the input bearing be changed without too much weeping drama, or is a full box-out job?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'd restore the whole damn thing from top to bottom.
Probably not worth it unless it's the Sport with M15A driveline.

It's really surprisingly nippy too
Mine really get up and boggie over 4k RPM, but it's a scary thing as I wait for a bang out of the old worn engine, so I don't suggest doing it.

can the input bearing be changed without too much weeping drama, or is a full box-out job?
Box out and split apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts