Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time here and looking for some advice with a noisy gearbox. Suspect worn bearings and want to strip it and replace them. My question is can anybody confirm for me which Suzuki models share the same gearbox as I am finding it difficult to locate a bearing kit for the Ignis. Suspect the Swift and WagonR+ powertrains (1.3 models) may be the same for which there are some kits around (Ebay). My car is a 2001 Ignis 1.3 petrol 5 speed manual.
Even better if anyone has the bearing p/n's for the Ignis gearbox!
Tks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'm in Ireland - bearings would be cheap enough to buy from bearing suppliers if I could only get some p/n's before stripping to save time off the road (buying them from Suzuki dealer is pricey at about 60 euros each).
Is failure not common? I've seen quite a few posts regarding noisy gearboxes in general on Ignis/Swift/Baleno etc.
I'm aware of the bearing retainer plate (behind 5th gear) issue with loose/broken screws and have a set of new screws ready to go in for a rebuild if needed. I will check these first but I cannot imagine (even if they are loose) that they are causing this noise. This noise is typical of worn bearings. Maybe I'm wrong though! Others may have found the plate can cause it?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
OK, if you suspect bearings only, then you are correct - I assumed gear noises!

I assume standard bearings will be used, so if you can't get part numbers, then you will have to remove them and take them to a bearing shop and they will be able to match them for a lot cheaper than OEM supplier.

I just had a look through the service manual and although quite detailed about how to do it and specs - there is no bearing numbers described.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Found this useful strip guide on TeamSwift.net - looks like the "black box" gearbox version is common to the Ignis (scroll down half way) - at least my Ignis has the very same black painted 5th gear cover and looks the same.
OK - get part numbers and and any case cast numbers to compare, at least you will get an indication if it is the same as yours

I would be checking gear ratios, as they could be different, as the Swift may have a different height spec wheels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.