Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of minor issues - the brakes (I think) keep squealing on our 2017 Ignis, worse on left hand bends and it stop under hard braking - any ideas? It's a long way to the dealer and it's intermittent so hesitant to book it in.

The other is the rear drums - they are externally quite badly corroded. The dealer said it's "normal" but it does look quite tatty - anyone had this and would something like Hammerite sort it? With the fairly "open" wheels it does detract from an otherwise nice looking car/

·
Registered
237 Posts
In the first instance, I would try firm repeated application of the brakes from speed in an attempt to clean up the surfaces of the pads and discs. If this doesn't do the trick then the pads and discs may need to be de-glazed after dismantling.

Brake drums will corrode and you can either use calliper paint or Hammerite. If using Hammerite, I'd suggest Hammerite spray barbecue paint - it's temperature resistant and dries a nice matt black.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I’m taking it in the the 15th to see if they’ll do it (the dealers we bought it from); the ads I’ve looked at for similar ages cars all have drums in far better condition. I live right by the sea so they’ll only get much worse!

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it's a MY17, why not seeing this under the warranty?
You could claim to replace all parts and make it new..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Always worth trying the warranty. However - surface rust on brake drums wouldn't be covered by warranty - all drums corrode and there may be, as indicated, factors that influence corrosion. Similarly, the dealer may class noisy brakes as a maintenance item rather than a warranty repair.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Always worth trying the warranty. However - surface rust on brake drums wouldn't be covered by warranty - all drums corrode and there may be, as indicated, factors that influence corrosion. Similarly, the dealer may class noisy brakes as a maintenance item rather than a warranty repair.

Yes you are right - this thought is correct .
But a try does not blame - even you can receive a good discount on new parts or labours.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s booked in for Monday; the service guy seemed to know what he was doing and will do something about the squeal and the corrosion. He confirmed the brakes were bled on the service it had two days before we bought it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The other is the rear drums - they are externally quite badly corroded. The dealer said it's "normal" but it does look quite tatty - anyone had this and would something like Hammerite sort it? With the fairly "open" wheels it does detract from an otherwise nice looking car/
I had the same conversation over my Celerio. When it gets noticeable I shall do to my Ignis what I always do...wire brush and a coat of gold Hammerite spray.
Talking of corrosion I spotted a lot of bareness underneath so the Dynax UB will be out soon.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilt-Hamber-Dynax-UB-750ml-Anti-Corrosion-Under-Body-Wax-Protection-Prevent-Rust/163167588457?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
2 Posts
My suzuki, brakes scraped, since new brakes, deglazed twice new, pads fitted after four months from new didn't cure problem in Feb this year, suzuki, admitted, potential fault any one had same prob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Without fail, the brakes on my Fiat Panda (that I've just replaced with the Ignis) would squeal on an annual basis. All that was required was to remove the front brake pads, wire brush the caliper where the pads mount/ attach and apply some copper grease onto the rear face of the pads ensuring none comes into contact with the friction material. The OP's problem sounds like just the same symptoms and could be worth a try.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts