Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just bought an Ignis 4Grip 2005 UK model with the hope of staying mobile during th winter snow that we tend to get around here. I need to visit my elderly parents daily as they are housebound and they live in a rural area with hills so any snowfall causes issues.

Will the Ignis man enough to cope with snowy roads? (Tarmac roads, not cross-country). Just worried that there's no 'Lock' for tough roads and I may have made a wrong purchase :(

Ideally, I would have gone for a Vitara but there weren't any good ones available in my price range.

It's a great purchase- very cheap to buy, low mileage (49k miles), full service history, and immaculate condition. And there were no alternatives locally other than a worn out Fiat Sedici AWD with more dents than a golf ball.

I intend to put new Goodyear Vector 4Seasons tyres on the Ignis as they were excellellent on an old Subaru Legacy I once had.

I've seen some YouTube footage in hellish snow conditions and the 4Grip seems to perform well.

Just wondered what experience you may have with these in the bad weather?

Moog

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my '05 4Grip this time last year and promptly drove it diagonally across the whole amber snow warning last December. Made it from rural Wales on un-plowed/gritted roads to Bucks without hitch, all on budget (Orium/Hankook) tyres to boot!

For reference there were lorries sliding back down inclines and at least one fancy new SUV (F-Pace, I think) floundering, but not willing to accept help...

I've been very impressed with the little Ignis, it's much better on snow/ice than my Q4 Alfa was with it's proper Torsen full-time 4WD setup. That might be down to weighing 40% less with just 40% of the power though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignis 4Grip 2004 snow

Thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated. It's given me hope for this winter if the weather turns. I won't need to tackle any mammoth road trips like yours!!

Thanks to Black Friday sales, I've managed to get 4 x Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 for £258 all in. Bargain.

I once had a grey import Suzuki Swift saloon AWD many years ago and that did surprisingly well in the snow even on low profile rudeboy tyres.

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tyres seem to be critical - couldn't get up my snowy drive on standard tyres on my 4wd Ignis due to wheelslip/no locking diff. Lost it completely in my first Ignis (2wd) on a hilly road covered in freak hailstones and slid sideways into a tree - not much you can do about that!. One of the great things about an Ignis is its ground clearance - compare it to much more expensive SUV's!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts