Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midway through a DIY clutch change on a 2006 4WD Ignis 2 GLX1.5 and its getting tight...
Advice welcomed from anyone who's done this without a post lift. The driveshafts are off, and we're trying to work out if we should take off the Transfer box then the Gearbox, or if we can lower them both together. The manual says remove transfer first - but that will mean taking off the front exhaust section below the cat, and surprise surprise! the bolts are all rusted solid.
Words of wisdom, please....

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Remove the transfer case, it's too unwieldy and heavy without a hoist and transmission support cradle. If you're doing this on the ground on axle stands or ramps you might, and I say might be able to work something out with a wooden frame and a couple of trolley Jack's. Not sure you will have enough room to get it all back far enough to get to clutch without removing the exhaust

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the transfer case, it's too unwieldy and heavy without a hoist and transmission support cradle. If you're doing this on the ground on axle stands or ramps you might, and I say might be able to work something out with a wooden frame and a couple of trolley Jack's. Not sure you will have enough room to get it all back far enough to get to clutch without removing the exhaust
Thanks, 2013GV, I had not considered the wooden cradle idea, that's a good one, will try it out. Once the trasfer is removed, then we should be able to take the Transmission & Bellhousing out sideways to the left.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Last time I did anything like that, even though I have a post hoist, I used an engine crane to save trouble and AC gas. I lifted the car, not the engine. This way is less risk and you can do a clutch easily on your own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The job was completed, and the car now runs well with a new clutch. It took a while, but we had plenty of time. The gear we used: 3 axle stands, 1 trolley jack and a wooden beam resting on 2 trestles across the car above the engine & gearbox. The car was lifted about 4 -5 inches by the axle stands
Thanks for the advice to separate the transfer box from the gearbox, to keep the weight manageable. A lot of bolts to undo in the process. Thanks also to rhinoman for making the workshop manual available, that was an essential guide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts