Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018, Vitara S Allgrip
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's approaching that time of year where the wifes Ignis will need it's service. It's only done 19k so I got a quote from my local dealer who supplied the vehicle.

£240 Inc vat.

Does this seem reasonable?

Last year I drove an hour and got a bargain compared to the local dealer.

As it's it's last service while under warranty I was thinking of having the local dealer do it and MOT it at same time. For another £40

Anything wrong not attributed to wear and tear would still be covered under the warranty if the MOT was done a month early, right ??

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mine was serviced last week - 3rd year service albeit I'd only done 9940 miles.

It was "free" since I've been paying into a Suzuki service plan taken out on purchase after I found out how expensive my dealer was.

At that time John Wilkins in Cheltenham where I bought the car would have charged £216 for the three year service (it's the two year one that's expensive at £364) - whereas Coleford only wanted £120.

I will most likely be going to Coleford if I keep the car for another year which now looks more likely than not. The cost there for the four year service recorded in 2018 was £247 compared to £399 at Cheltenham.

However after that servicing gets really expensive! The prices at Cheltenham for the 5/6/7/8/9/10 year services were £303/£409/£191/£426/£252/£448 - that's excessive for an "ordinary" small car in my view. Coleford's equivalents are £200/£254/£97/£254/£153/£298. I must read the handbook/service sheet sometime to try and work out why servicing gets SO expensive!

And if you live in Milton Keynes forget it! They're horrendously expensive! The 10 year service is £492 !!!

Of course all these figures are likely to have gone up more than the inflation rate.

This level of increase doesn't seem to happen with other makes. My Qashqai simply alternated major and minor services.

The MoT was £54.85 at Cheltenham - full price! Nothing found - no advisories.

They did put the clock to BST though!

·
Registered
2018, Vitara S Allgrip
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It was "free" since I've been paying into a Suzuki service plan taken out on purchase after I found out how expensive my dealer was.

At that time John Wilkins in Cheltenham where I bought the car would have charged £216 for the three year service (it's the two year one that's expensive at £364) - whereas Coleford only wanted £120.

I will most likely be going to Coleford if I keep the car for another year which now looks more likely than not. The cost there for the four year service recorded in 2018 was £247 compared to £399 at Cheltenham.

However after that servicing gets really expensive! The prices at Cheltenham for the 5/6/7/8/9/10 year services were £303/£409/£191/£426/£252/£448 - that's excessive for an "ordinary" small car in my view. Coleford's equivalents are £200/£254/£97/£254/£153/£298. I must read the handbook/service sheet sometime to try and work out why servicing gets SO expensive!

And if you live in Milton Keynes forget it! They're horrendously expensive! The 10 year service is £492 !!!

Of course all these figures are likely to have gone up more than the inflation rate.

This level of increase doesn't seem to happen with other makes. My Qashqai simply alternated major and minor services.

I went to Coleford last year. I am definitely going to call them this year too and see how they compare.

Gonna be a 2x Suzuki household soon as I am looking at a Vitara 1.4S for myself.

😁

·
Registered
306 Posts

Essentially servicing comprises a 1 yr / 12500 mile service and a 2 year / 25000 mile service which repeats.
The 12500 mile service is an oil + filter change and a list of inspections not involving wheel removal
The 25000 mile service adds further inspections, a brake fluid change, brake drum removal, a more thorough front brake inspection, and air filter replacement
Every 3yrs it's a 12500 mile service + change cabin filter so about £30 additional cost
The servicing pattern continues but there are infrequent operations which bump up the price of certain services.
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace coolant
  • Replace aux belt.

Some of these add-ons are expensive eg a set of plugs is £130 + labour!!

The dealer may also advise on consumable items requiring replacement during a service ie tyres, brake linings, discs, wiper blades and bulbs.

However Suzuki have introduced fixed price servicing for cars over 3 years old which gets around the vastly variable servicing cost between dealers on scheduled servicing. There are 3 levels of servicing encompassing to a large extent the items covered in scheduled servicing. Again the infrequent operations mentioned above will come up as extras from time to time.

There is always the option of using an indy - you can also choose between original parts and certified equivalent parts. Indy servicing should reduce costs by 30%.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Service schedule - but only up to year 8 - note difference between non-hybrid and hybrid models for the drive belt:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Some of these add-ons are expensive eg a set of plugs is £130 + labour!!
Interestingly the only difference between the 1, 5 and 7 year services is that the 5 year also includes spark plug replacement and pollen filter inspection..

At Cheltenham the cost increase for the 5 year over the 1 year is "only" £112 - and at Coleford "only" £103 - parts and labour.

·
Registered
306 Posts
When you think about it - the MOT test is good value for money particularly since some outfits discount the price to as low as £35. It covers all the safety inspections that a dealer major service would cover and more. The dealer service doesn’t include a dynamic brake test, a check on optical alignment of headlamps or an emissions test. An MOT combined with DIY servicing at about the same time is a great budget maintenance package.

·
Registered
2018, Vitara S Allgrip
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of interest. Has anyone had any Failures at the first MOT? Anything I should check before it goes in??

·
Registered
809 Posts
Can some advise if you can pre pay for Suzuki first 3 year service on a monthly basis?
You can have a service contract either with the dealer itself or with Suzuki UK. Mine's just run out - I had it with Suzuki because it was cheaper than my dealer. Paid about £18.50pm.

Interestingly looking at Suzuki Service Payment Plan | Suzuki Cars UK suggests I could renew it, albeit I haven't been contacted asking me whether I want to renew.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nowadays if you try to book a service you don't see all the service costs as you used to. However there is a "Book a 3 year plus service* " but the "*" isn't referenced anywhere. Does anyone know what the difference is?

EDIT

I've now found 3 Year Plus Servicing | Suzuki UK

MINOR SERVICE - £129
To keep things running smoothly, this service includes a complete health check and an oil and filter change by a Suzuki trained technician who knows exactly what your car needs.

INTERIM SERVICE – £199
If you’ve owned your car for a while, it may need a little more TLC. So, our Suzuki trained technicians will replace brake and clutch fluid and carry out an oil and filter change too.

MAJOR SERVICE - £279
Had some great adventures and clocked up some mileage? Our Major Service sounds like the choice for you. When you book in for this service, we’ll include an oil and filter change, replacement brake and clutch fluid, and we’ll also replace the air and pollen filters. To top it all off, we will also provide 12 months complimentary roadside assistance with Suzuki AA Lite.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nowadays if you try to book a service you don't see all the service costs as you used to. However there is a "Book a 3 year plus service* " but the "*" isn't referenced anywhere. Does anyone know what the difference is?

EDIT

I've now found 3 Year Plus Servicing | Suzuki UK

MINOR SERVICE - £129
To keep things running smoothly, this service includes a complete health check and an oil and filter change by a Suzuki trained technician who knows exactly what your car needs.

INTERIM SERVICE – £199
If you’ve owned your car for a while, it may need a little more TLC. So, our Suzuki trained technicians will replace brake and clutch fluid and carry out an oil and filter change too.

MAJOR SERVICE - £279
Had some great adventures and clocked up some mileage? Our Major Service sounds like the choice for you. When you book in for this service, we’ll include an oil and filter change, replacement brake and clutch fluid, and we’ll also replace the air and pollen filters. To top it all off, we will also provide 12 months complimentary roadside assistance with Suzuki AA Lite.
This is the 3 year plus servicing schedule. It essentially covers the items in the normal service schedule though the timings of certain operations are different. In some respects elements of the schedule are more comprehensive

Minor Service
Complete any outstanding Recall/Service campaignsI
Update software versions on all control unitsI
Check all diagnostic trouble codesI
Carry out Vehicle Health CheckI
Engine oil and oil filterR
Engine coolant I
Check cam belt replacement intervalI
Lights, warning lamps and buzzersI
Horn and instrumentsI
Seat beltsI
Screen wipers, washers and fluid levelI