Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just got an Ignis AGS 2020 last month, there have been occasions where I wasn’t sure whether the car was ‘juddering’ at start Bec of how I was stepping on the gas/pedal or this is part of the issue other drivers reported on the AGS clutch plate fault that’s more pronounced in winter.
Do people know whether this AGS clutch fault is still a problem on 2020 models and beyond or is it my driving ? I’m a new driver btw.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am 2 weeks into owning a 2017 ags with 29000 miles. I have a bit of judder only on pulling away first time on start up after that it’s fine. Don’t know if to complain to dealer where I bought the car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Do people know whether this AGS clutch fault is still a problem on 2020 models and beyond or is it my driving ? I’m a new driver btw.
I suspect they never actually cured the problem fully hence why they've now switched to CVT for the new model.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I suspect they never actually cured the problem fully hence why they've now switched to CVT for the new model.
I'd agree. There have been a number of technical bulletins on the subject which would suggest that Suzuki have gone along a lengthy learning curve. Sounds as if improvements have been made but the problem hasn't been fully solved. It seems that many owners just put up with the issue which seems to go away once the car has warmed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd agree. There have been a number of technical bulletins on the subject which would suggest that Suzuki have gone along a lengthy learning curve. Sounds as if improvements have been made but the problem hasn't been fully solved. It seems that many owners just put up with the issue which seems to go away once the car has warmed up.
I did think that with the CVT there’s really no need for them to invest much on the AGS, so I got a 2020 model and hopefully when it gets really bad, I’d still have warranty. I wasn’t convinced that CVT would give me long term value for money

·
Registered
13 Posts
Will the judder get worse because at the moment it’s only for a few seconds on the first time I pull off in the mornings. That’s something I can live with really enjoying driving the AGS and having the choice of manual with no clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably best for others to answer as I have only got mine for a month. But there’s a thread on it already, only reason I asked again was Bec I’m hoping there’s an update on it for more recent (2019-2020) models

·
Registered
1 Posts
Because of lockdowns I decided to try to understand the problem myself in our 69 model and decide whether it was worth complaining. I've concluded that the root cause may actually be in the ECU/AGS electronics - when the engine is cold and it is damp, at around the rpm when the clutch engages, there is a flat spot around 1200-1300 rpm which causes the judder due to variable clutch slippage. Once any damp is off the plates and it has warmed up a little, the problem disappears. I decided it simply wasn't worth bothering about, it has not got any worse and actually once you get used to it the AGS works rather well, and much more quietly than a CVT.
The CVT model has less power which makes me suspect it won't be as happy cruising in the middle/outside lane on motorways, so I see no point in replacing the car and losing money over a minor fault which lasts no more than a couple of seconds at the start of a journey.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Because of lockdowns I decided to try to understand the problem myself in our 69 model and decide whether it was worth complaining. I've concluded that the root cause may actually be in the ECU/AGS electronics - when the engine is cold and it is damp, at around the rpm when the clutch engages, there is a flat spot around 1200-1300 rpm which causes the judder due to variable clutch slippage. Once any damp is off the plates and it has warmed up a little, the problem disappears. I decided it simply wasn't worth bothering about, it has not got any worse and actually once you get used to it the AGS works rather well, and much more quietly than a CVT.
The CVT model has less power which makes me suspect it won't be as happy cruising in the middle/outside lane on motorways, so I see no point in replacing the car and losing money over a minor fault which lasts no more than a couple of seconds at the start of a journey.
As an aside, owners feedback and road test reports conclude very similar performance from the new and old models. Although there has been a reduction in power output, the engine has been further refined and the hybrid action particularly when starting off is beneficial.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn’t go for the hybrid model. I thought the price difference on the offer for me didn’t represent good value for money for any petrol saving I may get driving around Guernsey plus the additional costs on future servicing, repai, etc.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I didn’t go for the hybrid model. I thought the price difference on the offer for me didn’t represent good value for money for any petrol saving I may get driving around Guernsey plus the additional costs on future servicing, repai, etc.
Discounted prices on residual stock of the old model in late 20 / early 21 represented excellent value for money. There are still some unregistered old model Ignis cars available in limited colours. Others are for sale registered, but essentially never driven.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Note that Suzuki presently have reinstated their "£2,000 off" offer on all Ignises (including the SZ3 this time which previously has been £1,500).

Albeit they'd substantially hiked the price since I bought mine, so a SZ5 with duo-colour is still £15,649 compared to the £13,149 I paid, admittedly nearly three years ago now. That's still a 19% increase though - much more than inflation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I to have an AGS Ignis which also suffers with judder when first using the car from cold, and as other people have reported the judder disappears after the first 1/2 mile or so of driving. I also tend to agree with "Kupfernighk's" earlier post where he believes it to be the ECU/AGS electronics that cause the problem as I have also read reports from other people who have said that after a reset/update of the ECU/AGS software the problem seems to go away, albeit for about 6 months or so which would seem to rule out a flywheel/clutch plate problem. The problem is certainly not limited to Suzuki as can be seen when looking at other vehicle forums particularly Citroen/Peugeot, as this is a problem that occurs with their automated manual gearbox. However what I have found that overcomes the judder for me, when first starting from cold, is to put the AGS into manual selection and select gear 2 and then pull away, and then when having driven a 100 yards or so to put the AGS into drive (automatic selection). I assume that this allows the clutch to slip a small amount more than happens in drive. My thinking is that the ECU/AGS electronics seem to want to release the clutch too early and gets "confused". It reminds me of when those of us who first learnt to drive a car with a manual gearbox car were often accused of having "kangaroo petrol" in the petrol tank!!!!, but eventually we all learnt to coordinate the accelerator and clutch pedals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can also confirm that pulling away in 2nd in manual from cold start up you get absolutely no Juddering. Then put back into drive as soon as moving and all is fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to have a Citigo with AGS gearbox and thought it was great except that I could drive it more fluently in manual mode than it could automatically by itself but, never had any judder. Reading all this certainly sounds like something specific to Suzuki AGS boxes (Skoda AGS would appear to have its own set of problems reading the forum posts). It also sounds like software hasn't been written that would allow the ECU to take into account any judder of any kind OR it is a poor mechanical design in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am Jamjam from Indonesia, I own 2019 Ignis with AGS gearbox and its not so comfortable compared to CVT, anyone know or have an ideas on how to convert this AGS to CVT, I mean swapping the gearbox for sure, ECU, CVT control, wiring harness, gear shirt mechanism and what else? Is it worth? I saw in Japan they selling used CVT gearbox etc..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi, I am Jamjam from Indonesia, I own 2019 Ignis with AGS gearbox and its not so comfortable compared to CVT, anyone know or have an ideas on how to convert this AGS to CVT, I mean swapping the gearbox for sure, ECU, CVT control, wiring harness, gear shirt mechanism and what else? Is it worth? I saw in Japan they selling used CVT gearbox etc..
With mechanical items such as gearbox, mountings, flywheel, driveshafts etc it’s a case of comparing the parts list of the two model variants to establish what needs to be changed and what can be retained. Same really with wiring, control systems, ECU etc but a lot more difficult. You would, to a large extent be pathfinding with little fallback if you hit snags. There are issues with the AGS gearbox but are they really to a degree that warrants the cost and difficulties of fitting an entirely different gearbox? You’d also be left with a non-standard car. How do the economics stack up against selling your car and purchasing a CVT Ignis?

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Simple answer is no. Completely different wiring loom and controls, im not even sure if the ags equipped engine ecm will work with the cvt controller

·
Registered
2 Posts
I to have an AGS Ignis which also suffers with judder when first using the car from cold, and as other people have reported the judder disappears after the first 1/2 mile or so of driving. I also tend to agree with "Kupfernighk's" earlier post where he believes it to be the ECU/AGS electronics that cause the problem as I have also read reports from other people who have said that after a reset/update of the ECU/AGS software the problem seems to go away, albeit for about 6 months or so which would seem to rule out a flywheel/clutch plate problem. The problem is certainly not limited to Suzuki as can be seen when looking at other vehicle forums particularly Citroen/Peugeot, as this is a problem that occurs with their automated manual gearbox. However what I have found that overcomes the judder for me, when first starting from cold, is to put the AGS into manual selection and select gear 2 and then pull away, and then when having driven a 100 yards or so to put the AGS into drive (automatic selection). I assume that this allows the clutch to slip a small amount more than happens in drive. My thinking is that the ECU/AGS electronics seem to want to release the clutch too early and gets "confused". It reminds me of when those of us who first learnt to drive a car with a manual gearbox car were often accused of having "kangaroo petrol" in the petrol tank!!!!, but eventually we all learnt to coordinate the accelerator and clutch pedals.
Going into 2nd from a stop... Will this damage my ags Ignis in the long run?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts