Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
folks, just mentioning this in case anyone's had the same thing happen.

my Ignis is June 2018 therefore just under 2 years old. there's a strange grinding noise coming from the rear I think, only when braking. it only happens when the car is warmed up after 10 miles or so. the noise is like something is catching once every wheel revolution. ive checked and there is nothing caught under the car, so a bit mystified. im not expecting pads or shoes to be worn after 20k. i'm not a quick driver.

the car has done 19500 miles. I spoke to dealer and they think its likely to be pad wear pin - but as the noise sounds like its from the rear to me, and the rear has drums, I'm a little sceptical.

any thoughts

cheers

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wouldn’t expect excessive pad or shoe wear in 20 kmiles. Gentle driving / braking often results in the rear brakes doing virtually nothing and there is insufficient friction to clean off high spots and shoe / drum surfaces. Low usage of cars for the last month will aggravate the situation. Hard braking from speed from time to time is good for keeping friction surfaces in optimum condition. Your 2 year service due shortly, includes a full brake inspection with wheels and rear drums removed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks agreed. however the car had started to do this periodically before the lockdown, and I had taken it to the garage to be assessed. but guess what, when I took it in, no noise, it as perfect, sods law. I think it hadn't warmed sufficiently, as it seems to happen after a half hour to hour drive or so. ive booked in for a service as you said - there is. dealer open that I can visit

·
Registered
486 Posts
Can you not confirm it's from the rear brakes or not by putting on the handbrake?

·
Registered
469 Posts
My front brakes are shot at 20k miles. Plus severe uneven tyre wear (inner edges); £260 for tyres, probably £300 for disks, pads and fitting.
Not impressed.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,983 Posts
Have you been rotating the tires and when was the last time the alignment was checked and adjusted..

Not sure why you are burning through brakes, I never expect to replace pads in less than 75k, and my original disks are at 265k and just coming to min..

Reactions: Kernowlad

·
Registered
469 Posts
Aqua; we bought it with 9.5k miles on it; the visible tyre wear was fine but we suddenly noticed how bad the inner edges were.
The brakes have been squealing on and off since we got it; I had it checked and they did something (cleaned them?) but they’ve worn very quickly and in a weird way. The tyre fitter pointed it out. It was booked in as a possible warranty job but Covid struck and the warranty expires in June so I’ll have to get it done independently when I can. I’ll be looking for alternative brands to OEM.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,983 Posts
Most dealer are extending the warranty because of the covid, however provided you report the issue to the dealer prior to the expiration they should cover you...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive never owned a car that would wear out the pads and discs with only 20k. im taking mine in on weds to garage so we'll see what transpires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unfortunately I think it's becoming apparent that the Ignis is a heavy consumer of tyres (and possibly brake discs), there are enough threads on the internet to suggest it and it is definitely my experience with mine where the fronts will probably be shot by the time I reach 18000 miles. I reckon the cause is the geometry of the car and apart from the odd exception, I don't think it's caused by incorrect wheel alignment ( tracking). I've never seen the point in rotating tyres as it just means you have all four tyres to replace at once instead of staggering the cost over time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems weird though, because its such a light car and the front discs and pads shouldn't be working that hard. maybe they're also made of lightweight materials ......

·
Registered
23 Posts
The discs are a very small diameter and therefor working relatively hard, so maybe that could be the reason. To be honest I think on modern cars discs are virtually as throw away as the pads , I've had to change discs on our Fiat Panda and Hyundai I10 at around 20k miles use. Maybe it's a small car thing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My old BMW M135i; 320bhp, almost 1.5 tonnes, huge brakes, still tonnes of wear left at 42k miles when I sold it.
Our VW California; 2.7 tonnes; big brakes, I reckon they’ll get to 30k miles (also on 21k).

It does make the super light Ignis wear seem very excessive indeed.

I’ll be looking for non OEM as the Suzuki ones are clearly made of cheese.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my wife car has 45k and is nearly 5 years old, pads only half worn.....
I'm not sure if it would've made much difference If i'd said that to the MOT testers that failed our cars for having worn/warped/pitted discs. ( at 20k miles) So many factors affect disc and pad wear, motorway miles, being heavy on the brake pedal, crap quality Suzuki components,
etc etc....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ha, soft cheese at that, probably camembert, if they were made out of parmesan, they'd easily do 30k....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vch....agreed. so on Wednesday if I need new discs and pads, what should I be saying to the Suzuki service people. I mean its not cheap to replace these components. kind of negates all the fuel savings

·
Registered
469 Posts
That’s my concern; I was quoted £330 to replace both. That’s a lot and there’ll be Camembert spec too. So even if they did cover some of it (which sounded very unlikely when I called them pre Covid) theyll last for no time at all.
I’d quite like to get brakes made of the correct materials.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts