Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 Sidekick is idling really low alot of the time, just about to stall sometimes, i have replaced my plug wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, air filter and the problem is still there, my last bet is the PCV Vlave if its not that then i have no idea. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I had the same problem. If I let it idle for a bit and then get on the gas fairly hard it would stutter also. I eventually found out after blowing a water pump and having to redo the timing belt, that it was out. After I ajusted it it idles and dosent stutter anymore. Im not sure if it wasnt installed proporly at the dealership or it just skipped a cog or what. Im pretty hard on it and I had done a few burnouts where the tach slipped into the red breifly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My tracker did the same when I first got it, I did a full tune up (K&N Air Filter, new plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor, fuel line flush, oil change/filter, etc.) and it was still bad, 2 things helped.

1. Trackers/Sidekicks are bad for their catalytic converter getting full of crap, take it off and punch the insides out of it to clear it up, or do as I did and take it right off and put in a custom exhaust (Nothing fancy, I just upgraded to 2" pipe from 1.75"(I believe is the stock) and used a pipe bender to keep it up under my skid plate and weave it nicely under, bit of welding and maybe a cherry bomb).

2. Timing. I had to just twist my dist. cap a bit, it says under my hood that my idle should be 800 rpm. I set mine to about 1200 idle and it works MUCH better, enough power to get anywhere now. \

Hope it helps.

EDIT: It can also be the EGR valve, thanks to Jerry(jtgh) for this guide to EGR valves.

·
Registered
123 Posts
had you tried adjusting a small screw by the TPS sensor, it´s cover with a little black rubber. If you have to turn your time out of 8 BTCD and or adjust your RPM over 800 means something going on. Timing adjust out of 8 may means what shconer says; I had a timing problem and it was a wore key and sprocket.(shconer was lucky I had to made an overhaul.) Had u ever cleaned the throttle body. EGR valve use to give u a missfire all the time(if it´s open)

·
Banned
9,640 Posts
1- TUNE UP?
2- SET IGNTION TIMING TO 8 DEG. BTDC.
3- ON TOP OF TB RIGHT PASS. SIDE, SEE IAC., ON THE FRONT IS THE
IDLE SET SCREW 5MM ALLEN HEX KEY.
Do not mess with TPS. you will regret it.

AFTER SETTING TIMING, YOU CAN SET IDLE , TO 800 WITH THIS ADJ.
GET ENGINE HOT. ADJUST IT TO 800.rpm.

THE EGR IF IT WERE TO STICK OPEN WOULD BE VERY LOW ROUGH IDLE
SORRY CAPS. not yelling,

congrats on first kick that runs slow, most scream do to vacuum leaks.

if your belt is old an loose this could cause it too.
but belts are cheap, change it every 60k.

to validate the Tbelt cam , you need to pull the front cover and look at marks at TDC ( there are 4 marks)
on my sig page , click Tbelt and then see photo.
I painted them white so people can seem em.
ok break a leg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts