Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i unstick the throttle cable. the idle runs high when i come to a stop. if i push the choke all the way down manually it idles normally, but it wont by itself.should i spay some silicon into the throttle cable?its an 88 suz sam. with a new engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cable directly connected to the choke mechanisms. it wont release fully when engaged in other words when i give it gas it revs but when i stop giving it gas it wont fully disengage and it revs high or idles high. i can push the choke mechanism down manually and it will stay down and idle normally but as soon as i give it gas and come to a stop like at a light it idles high. otherwise it works. it doesn't die on me suddenly. it starts normally things like that.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the cable goes to your throttle plate inside the carburetor and the acceleration booster, choke, and idle control are linked to it with a series of arms and levers. It sounds like your high idle control is sticking. It's controled by a heat sensative plunger on the back of the carb, and a vacuum actuated plunger on the side of the carb. If the plunger is down on the vacuum actuated high idle control, then it's not getting vacuum to release the high idle plunger. Check and make sure the vacuum line is connected and that it's not cracked or loose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the cable goes to your throttle plate inside the carburetor and the acceleration booster, choke, and idle control are linked to it with a series of arms and levers. It sounds like your high idle control is sticking. It's controled by a heat sensative plunger on the back of the carb, and a vacuum actuated plunger on the side of the carb. If the plunger is down on the vacuum actuated high idle control, then it's not getting vacuum to release the high idle plunger. Check and make sure the vacuum line is connected and that it's not cracked or loose.
Bartacus would his carb have a heat sensitive plunger and a manual choke?
And to clarify for myself, is the vacuum plunger you refer to the one that is controlled by the headlights/heater being turned on?

So Samrod1 if the engine is idling normally and the choke is off, you rev it and the idle is now high, does the choke knob on the dash come on?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yes MOF, The vacuum plunger I was talking about is the idle up vacuum plunger that is activated by accessories loading the engine.. like you said, heater, lights,

I don't think he has a manual choke, I think he was confused about the throttle cable. saying in his first post that he manually closed the choke probably meant that he pushed the flap closed with his hand. The heat plunger is something that was stock on all U.S. samurai models with hitachi carbs and I think the aisan carbs had a heat sensative plunger as well.

If he does have a manual choke then it would help to know what carburetor he's running because then he probably doesn't have an idle up solenoid either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A buddy had the same problem check to see if right by where the throttle connects to carb there is a silver bracket that tends to back its screw out then the bracket gets wedged reving up the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my Jimny 2002 model. But in my case, the idle goes back down to normal after a few seconds (from releasing the accelerator pedal). What can be done to rectify this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
High idle sounds like an air leak in the intake system to me. Check the PCV valve and IAC. The PCV is open at idle and closes as the rpm increases. If it is stuck open the engine will rev high. The IAC also opens upon start up and closes as the engine warms up. If it is stuck open the engine will rev high. Also look at all your vacum hoses for leaks. Spray carb cleaner on them to fine leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts