Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as I was driving to work my Samurai suddenly lost power. It had been running fine, I was cruising in fifth gear, and all of a sudden, the engine bogged like I had flipped a switch. I popped it in neutral, and everything seemed fine. It idles fine, but as soon as I try to drive or give it gas, it bogs immediately. I found that if I depressed the pedal extremely slightly, it would accelerate. I could get it up to about 25 mph after about 2 minutes of this. I got to work, when I started it to go home, it started fine, I revved the engine, everything was ok. I popped the hood to make sure everything was in place and nothing looked obviously wrong. I also wanted to let it warm up to see if it would duplicate the same symptoms. Nothing unusual. I drove out of the parking lot, started on my way, and suddenly BAM, again I had the same situation. I found that I could get the engine into high RPM by blipping the throttle over and over. I had to do this to get it rolling. I got it home and began to investigate. I pulled all the plugs, they were all in good shape. I checked thoroughly for vacuum leaks, I found none. I removed the carb hat and watched the choke operate during warm-up. Everything seemed fine. I let it idle for about 15 minutes. I revved the engine occasionally to check for symptoms. It revved up fine, no smoke, no problems. I re-installed the carb hat, let it idle more, revved it more. Nothing. I got it in, drove down the road about 2 blocks, and again, same exact thing. What....in the world....is going on? I got out and pulled off the carb hat, revved the engine, still bogged. I know I have spark, I know I have air. Timing seems right. Fuel pump? Please help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently replaced my fuel filter. I was researching and found where someone suggested that it could be a stuck EGR valve. I just looked and noticed that the is small amounts of oil pooled in the air filter compartment. Seems it is coming from the line off the top of the valve cover. It could be that oil is being sucked into the intake...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Go to Petroworks and get the vent tube kit.

Carburetor Vent Tube
Does your Samurai (with the stock Hitachi carburetor) hesitate and stumble? Our carburetor vent tube supplies the fix. It conforms to the requirements of Suzuki Technical Service Bulletin TS 4-06 03109(R) as detailed in the Suzuki Pages of Off-Road.com and includes installation instructions.

SKU: ENG-0320

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of fuel supply problems on lawn equipment brought on by the alcohol in gas loosening the old deposits in the fuel tank and lines and gumming up fuel filters and carbs. It seams the mess will liquefy then solidify in the carb as a gummy mess. This happens worse on equipment that has set for a while (months to years) I've had to replace a lot of fuel lines and clean out a lot of tanks this year. Also had similer problems on a 78 ford motor home a few years back it had been sitting sence 1980.

Your Sammy may be suffering something similar.

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully not >_< BUT! I have good news! I looked at the sight glass on the carb and saw that it was starving for fuel. So, after thinking and poking for a long long time, I remembered that I had accidentally left my gas cap at the pump about 3 days prior and then replaced it. A mechanical fuel pump system should not draw a vacuum, and apparently this one is vented at the cap. I removed the cap and after about 20 seconds the sight glass was full and all systems were go. I removed the larger O-ring from the cap and all is well.

P.S. I do plan to get the carb vent tube. Mine has a flat spot a mile wide. In fact if I put the pedal on the floor it has less power than if I hold back just a hair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts