Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the Samy is idling pretty good now, so I drove it and all my joy rapidly disappeared (reference my post with 'wierd stuff in oil' in the title for the full story on this truck). There is NO power and I couldn't even get it out of second gear. The only thing I can think of now is that the gaps on the valve lashings are not set correctly - would that cause this problem? Also, the stock carb is still on it - would that cause the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Terri

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
do a compression test. The valve lash would definitely cause a power loss if they havn't been set and that would show up with a compression test. You may have enough compression to idle the engine, but not enough to power it under load. The stock carb should be fine for running the vehicle unless it's all crapped up and needs a rebuild.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I think it was the timing. My Dad and I had set it advanced because at the correct place (10 degrees before TDC) the idle was really high and we coudn't get it down. I set the timing where it was supposed to be and viola more power! But now I can't get the idle under control. I have tried the idle speed adjusting screw but can't back it off enough. I really don't know what the condition of the carb is since I have not really had much experience with them in general. Should I just spray a bunch of carb cleaner in and see if that helps at all? It I had to guess I would say it does need a rebuild but I would rather replace it (unfortunately the money must go elsewhere right now).

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it!
Terri

1 - 3 of 3 Posts