Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003Aerio S with the factory wheels. I want to paint them black. I bought brake caliper paint and I am confident the paint itself will be great. I want to ask that…… does anyone out there know if these wheels have a clear coat on them, and if so, would I need to strip/sand the wheels before I painted them.
I just worry about the paint adhering to the wheels.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can confirm there is a clear coat. Unfortunately I can't advise on the importance of removing the clear coat to get proper adhesion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an '03 SX and painted my rims. Are yours the aluminium rims like mine?

This picture was taken last week so the paint has been on for 1 year now. I did not sand off the clear coat in any way. All I did was to remove the wheel from the car. Then I used some fantastic mixed in a bucket and scrubbed the rims very well using a heavy duty brush. Then rinse well. I then used a degreaser such as acetone on them to remove any last traces of anything making shure not to touch the area to be painted with your fingers etc. Then I applied the paint (regular tremclad black) with a brush. You could mask off what you don't want painted and use an aerosol but the regular stuff is mor environmentally friendly and i think my rims look great. As a final note I the dealer has just ordered me a new set of rims under warrantee yesterday as mine are starting to corrode. If you notice in the picture on the edge of the right hand spoke you can see some white areas that is what I am talking about. Luckilly I didn't sand off my clear coat 'cause I wouldn't have got the warrantee. The corrosion is a known thing on these wheels and occurs under the clear coat. Examine yours carefully before you start in case yours need replacing too. It would be a pity to have to redo the paint job as I have to. Here is a better exmple of the corrosion:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts