Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get a Suzuki Swift and so far so good. The automatic is a six-speed torque converter type, so it doesn’t hold revs and drone like a CVT when you push it, nor does it shudder and struggle at parking speed like a dual-clutch auto might. It may not be the sharpest tool in the shed for hot-blooded spirited driving, but even then it’s impressively sorted with resolute shifts and confident mapping. (Suzuki Swift ราคา)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And now reliable is it? I am reading in various forum that Jatco transmission are disaster...I would like not to have a broken car in less than 100.000 km....as I said I am using 70% runway ,30% city, every day. And 4 times a week up and down from the ramp (4 floor) of the Gym parking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not quite right. The CVT in the ignis and most other Japan based cars do have gears, its a pretty much standard automatic but has a variable drive between the torque converter and the main input shaft to stop the major "steps" between gears and to keep the engine revving in its most economical range.
There are a number of different types of CVT gearbox, I was just making the point that fundamentally a CVT matches input to output by means of variable diameter pulleys and a belt. Many small cars and in particular Nissans and Suzukis use the Jatco CVT7 gearbox and I presume, but don't know for sure, that this is used in the new Ignis. This does have a two step gear assembly on the output shaft. This extends the speed / rev band of the gearbox and at the same time minimises the length of the gearbox.

You've had an Ignis CVT in NZ for a few years. I read reviews on Drive Life from time to time and the only thing I've read about is the CTV gearbox noise issue. Anything further about the experience with the Ignis CVT unit in terms of driving experience, shortcomings, maintenance or reliability?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
The cvt7 is a 2 speed automatic with a variable speed front end as you say. I think that is the one fitted to the ignis here. Seems to be relatively reliable but the ignis isn't over endowed with horsepower anyway.

Bear in mind the following is my personal opinion, and you may feel free to disagree if you wish.

Personally I will never own a CVT gearbox. I don't like driving them, they are noisy and having an engine screaming its head off round town and no power when you stomp on the gas in an emergency until the gearbox decides to change ratio is not nice. Been there, narrowly avoided an accident several times.

The overall reliability of CVT transmissions is not good no matter what the brand. Jatco are getting better, but unfortunately have gajned a bad reputation that I don't think they will ever recover from. Ask any Nissan owner how much it costs when you hit 100k miles. Bear in mind there are a lot of failures in the higher horsepower vehicles. The ignis and swifts might not suffer from this as much, time will be the only way to tell.

AGS / DSG manual transmissions are almost as bad for reliability and repair cost. While the gearbox itself is a pretty standard manual gearbox, its the dual clutch and controls that give the bulk of the problems.

Ill stick to standard automatic and manual transmission shifted with an old fashioned stick variations thanks.

I think cars now are not built to be long lived, and 100,000 miles seems to be a common age they seem to develop major issues. Gone are the days of 200,000 mile plus cars before something major breaks.

The swift also used to be good until they fitted a CVT to them. At least you can still get them in a "standard " automatic

Reactions: The Ignis

·
Registered
45 Posts
And now reliable is it? I am reading in various forum that Jatco transmission are disaster...I would like not to have a broken car in less than 100.000 km....as I said I am using 70% runway ,30% city, every day. And 4 times a week up and down from the ramp (4 floor) of the Gym parking.
Jatco came under a lot of pressure from their parent company Nissan a few years ago to up their CVT game. A lot of reliability reports refer to older vehicles and there is no doubt that reliability has improved considerably. It's also been recognised that CVT technology is more suited to small cars with lower torques and power handling. The Ignis CVT has been around in other markets for over three years with little feedback. Time will tell if the Ignis CVT is reliable but as a fallback you've got a 3yr warranty which can be extended (in the UK, don't know about elsewhere)

·
Registered
568 Posts

I didn't know about that.

I've just done a quote and it's reasonable -

Comprehensive Cover
Excess: £50
£218.19 per year

Alternatively:

Annual Payment
Comprehensive Cover Including Roadside Assistance
Excess: £50
£258.85 per year

Tempting! (If I keep the car beyond next summer)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am trying to establish if I can now get an Ignis in the UK with all wheel drive in automatic.
As far as the original post was concerned, I find the ride height is somewhat better in the Ignis than others so how does it compare to the Arona?

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am trying to establish if I can now get an Ignis in the UK with all wheel drive in automatic.
No you can't - the available options are:

Interestingly the CVT is "5-speed" not seven as mentioned elsewhere on here.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice link thanks. I could not see the clearances on the site but I noticed the Arona width is about 4" more than the Ignis and that would put me off.
The Arona is a MUCH bigger car - and has a touch more ground clearance.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As I suspected. Thanks for researching it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good Morning,
I have never had any Suzuki and currently I have a smart in leasing. I live in Germany and I am considering as replacement of Smart a new IGNIs....but I am reading everywhere things that scares me in particular
  • Problems with breaks and Tires which run out too fast
  • Automatic CVT from Jetco7 which breaks/gives problems
  • problems with clutch (is there with CVT also?)
I want to buy it new, and the dream is to use it for next 6/7 years (I do 15.000 per year).
Alternative I am evaluating: Skoda Fabia with DSG, Arona with DSG, new Yaris CVT, if it resists, the Twingo automatic....but all more expensive and not sure if more reliable Frankly speaking.

I would love to know your technical and user experience opinions.
MATE!
Grow some balls and just buy it!
Its not a bloody Lambo for gods sakes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Lol....i love this pragmatism. I will but in July 2021...still.running out the leasing.... unfortunately due to this Corona shit I need to plan before and I want to schedule a drive ...let see.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good Morning,
I have never had any Suzuki
I have had Suzukis since about 1985 and once I had one I always had one if that makes sense. I must admit though that their latest offerings do not appeal. For example I would like a "new" Jimny but for reasons I have laid out elsewhere mostly because it is much the same running gear as the one I had it's a no no for me; in fact when I had a quick test drive I was very disappointed. I do not like the way the Vitaras have morphed into Nissan Joke type shapes and have lost the 4x4 feel. The Swift I drove for a few days put me off Swifts for life. I had a Celerio which as a small car I think was great value but for a number of reasons I migrated to the Ignis and sort of regretted it but it had to be. The Celerio was THE car to get from Suzuki.
In short to summarise.......my love for Suzuki (and I had my SJ413 for around 20 years cos I loved it and went through many Vitaras) is dead. I have no loyalty whatsoever to Suzuki so my advice to you is if you like the Ignis get it otherwise get what you do like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have had Suzukis since about 1985 and once I had one I always had one if that makes sense. I must admit though that their latest offerings do not appeal. For example I would like a "new" Jimny but for reasons I have laid out elsewhere mostly because it is much the same running gear as the one I had it's a no no for me; in fact when I had a quick test drive I was very disappointed. I do not like the way the Vitaras have morphed into Nissan Joke type shapes and have lost the 4x4 feel. The Swift I drove for a few days put me off Swifts for life. I had a Celerio which as a small car I think was great value but for a number of reasons I migrated to the Ignis and sort of regretted it but it had to be. The Celerio was THE car to get from Suzuki.
In short to summarise.......my love for Suzuki (and I had my SJ413 for around 20 years cos I loved it and went through many Vitaras) is dead. I have no loyalty whatsoever to Suzuki so my advice to you is if you like the Ignis get it otherwise get what you do like.
But why? Quality? Unreliability? Regarding the Ignis I like the concept, the color, the shape and the fact that int hat category still comes with 4 cilinders :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Why what?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts