Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why oh why does the automatic get 24/30 mpg when the 5 speed manual only gets 23/28? This goes against everything I've ever known about cars...

I only drive standard trannys, never autos so I'm a little pissed that the gas mileage is so crappy with this car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Keep in mind that this is a heavy small car + awd... Yeah, the newer cars are getting better mileage with the auto, go figure !

·
Registered
2 Posts
The manual transmission is a sport type so the gearing is a little more aggressive than the automatic. If you are gentle you should be able to get a little better than posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought mine about two weeks ago for my daily commuter. I am averaging 26-27MPG on the highway cruising at 70MPH. I am sure I would hit their estimates if I drove 55-60.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also don't understand the fuel economy between the two trannys. I test drove an auto and it was like it was dragging a boat anchor behind it. The 5 speed was alot better,infact,I think that some secretly hidden turbo kicks in when you go from 3rd to 4th gear. I prefer manuals in my vehicles,and my opinion is that this one has the best gear to engine matching of them all. By the way - I average 8.1-8.9 l/100 km.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The overall gear ratio is a lot different between cars with the manual and automatic transmissions. With the automatic, the engine is turning several hundred RPM slower at freeway speeds. For rural driving, I bought the manual. I'm sure the freeway mileage would better with the automatic, but my car doesn't hit the freeway that much and I agree that the gearing for the manual is a good choice, at least for my kind of driving. Question for Canadian owners of manual equipped cars: Does the engine speed up while you have the clutch pressed in for upshifts, or do only the U.S. cars have that trait? Does the computer reprogramming campaign for the early VIN numbers help with the problem? The TSB is for a malfunction that can cause a false "check engine light" but I'm hoping it will "fix" other problems not addressed in the letter Suzuki sent out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
turboducati said:
The manual transmission is a sport type so the gearing is a little more aggressive than the automatic.
You can also see this difference between 2 different trim levels of an automatic. The 2005 Pontiac G6 and G6 GT were different only in that the gearing was more aggressive (both used the same 3.5LV6 and same basic transmission), and it hurt fuel economy on the GT by about 2MPG.

I would guess that the driving experience of the stick SX4 is a more engaging one overall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In answer to your canadian vehicle question- yes. The 5 speed I test drove and the one I bought both have the sticky throttle syndrome. The one I own has gotten better over time (7500 kms) but still has slow throttle return time. Is it possible that the computer is self adjusting to driver habits? What's this about a computer reprogramming mod.? What does TSB stand for ( tech service bulletin? )

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is a Technical Service Bulletin that has been issued addressing a problem with some SX4's (depends on VIN number) where the Check Engine Light can come on, and there's really nothing wrong. This happened on my car and the Diagnostic Trouble Code shown was DTC P0607 (ECM internal processing error.) I got a letter dated 12/28/06 from Suzuki that outlines how to get it reprogrammed at the dealership, but I haven't had it done yet. I still don't know if the reprogramming will help the "sticky throttle." I called Suzuki customer service today and registered a complaint about the revving problem, so maybe if they hear from other owners they will issue a fix for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dudeboy - Thanks for the info. Funny that you mentioned the nothing wrong code. The day I went to pick my SX4 up,the salesman had just got back from fueling it up and had informed me that a code had just come up. He refused to let me have the car untill the mechanic could look at it. Unfortunatly it was friday 4:55 and only an apprentice was still there. I told them to do the disconnect the battery trick. The code dissappeared,never came back, and the car runs great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's interesting because my "check engine light" came on the first time I filled up too - but after taking delivery. We were on a trip to a neighboring town and even though I was pretty sure nothing serious was wrong, it made me nervous. I stopped and checked the gas cap and it was OK. I also had a strange symptom where the gas gauge took about an hour or so of driving before it came all the way up to the full mark. I've got my own code scanner, so I checked it over when I got home and found a code relating to the "control module performance." The scanner also showed that the check engine light had been reset when the car had 2 miles on it - very likely when it was being shipped, or possibly at the dealership before delivery. Mine hasn't come back on either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Code reset?

Dudeboy, you seem to be in the know about onboard computer systems. Any idea on how to resest codes on the SX4 without having to pull the neg. battery cable?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most auto supply chains sell a "code reader" that usually has the reset feature. The "code scanners" will give more information and many have "freeze frame" information that will give the details on the operating parameters at the time the code was set. These units can also be purchased on-line at various suppliers. I bought mine about 3 years ago and I see that prices have come down a lot recently. The price range varies with the capability and features offered. Ebay has a lot of them, but you have to be careful to get the best deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts