Suzuki Forums banner

I unknowingly installed LT (light truck) tires on my Alto. Did I mess up?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Patagonia 
#1 ·
My Suzuki Alto (2010 model, also known as Celerio or A-star in the Indian market) had tires that were 4 year old, 40,000km tires (Accelera eco plush) and it blew up from a pothole a week ago. It was traumatic but I was safe, it did not cause an accident, was able to park it on the side and get my car towed home.

On buying new tires, I initially wanted the GT Radial Champiro eco (Indonesian made). But since it was by order from the shop I opted for Thunderer r202 "City" tires . Installed it then went on my merry way. The ride was decent but its very firm (more like stiff but handled potholes well). I wondered why. I searched online and stumbled on Sheehan's website (Thunderer Tires). I was surprised that its under "VAN and SUV Radial Tires". So asking here and there i came to the conclusion that my tires are meant for Multicabs or small cargo trucks.

I was wondering what are the pros and cons of unknowingly installing light truck tires instead of passenger tires.

#2 ·
I'm surprised you can find LT tires in a size to fit an Alto - look at the sidewall of your tires and tell us what you see there, does it specifically mention LT? You're looking for the size, something like 145/80R12 or 165/55R14, does it say LT there? The fact that the tire is listed on a website as for a van or SUV doesn't make it an LT tire, many vans and SUVs run passenger car tires.

To answer your question, apart from a firmer ride (which you have mentioned) and maybe a slight hit in fuel consumption, there will be no ill effects.

#4 ·
I replaced my stock 155 65 r14s with a 155 80 r13. Much suitable in the Philippines where potholes reign supreme. Alongside the 155 80 r13 this same tire model has a 165r13C which I guess is the real truck Tire model--but uses the same design.

I wouldn't mind the reinforced sidewalls for a bit of road noise. After all.. weak sidewalls got me the last time.

replaced the light duty tires 145 R80 12 on the suzuki van I owned with 155 R80 12 LT (8 ply rating). Slightly taller & slight stiffer ride but no problems.
Hello fred. Is the LT truck tires better for our roads? I would exchange better durability for a bit of road noise and comfort.

#5 ·
Does it say LT on the side of the tire - or not? If it doesn't say LT155/80R13 then it's not an LT tire.

A 155/80R13 is a taller tire than the 155/65R14, roughly an inch taller, that will adversely affect gearing & fuel consumption, and potentially braking and the brake system, which, on an Alto is not what I would consider "great" - if it's not a vented disc in front, don't be too surprised if they warp, it's unlikely to happen immediately, but over time it might.

#7 ·
Doesn't have LT on its markings. Others I have consulted also said that it's a passenger tire. So I am relieved.

Re: the tire upsizing. I have based my decision on the Indian market celerio/alto which has the 155/80r13 as stock size. They have very rough roads there (same as mine) and I would very much like to have more comfort--the R14s were a pain in my backside when traversing manila roads. So far it has paid dividends--impacts have been absorbed much much better than my older tires, but of course huge potholes still send a quite a shock in the cabin, as expected of small economy cars.

On fuel economy: yes fuel economy has gone down, acceleration a bit too--with the 155/65/14 the engine revs easier compared to the 155/80/13s. I expect fuel economy to go up as the tire wears since fresh tires to have more rolling resistance than old, worn down tires.

Depends on where you are to some extent. I live in Iloilo and travel all around Panay Island & occasionally by RORO to others. Seems as if there is constant new road construction going on so conditions are improving but one still has to be very vigilant while driving because even the newer construction don't seem to hold up because of the corruption (witness the closing of the new flyover between Iloilo & Santa Barbara which had to be closed with about a months use due to shoddy construction & inferior materials used).

The tires I mentioned before was on a 2002 Suzuki CarryVan which I gifted to my Son-in-law and wife when I bought a new Suzuki Spresso which comes with 165R70X14 tires with a somewhat larger rolling diameter which in turn translates to a bit smoother ride even with the Spresso harsh suspension.

I am very much considering switching to LT tires whenever replacement time comes merely for the durability factor vs the light duty car tires. The LT tires will have a bit more resistance to damage along with the durability factor as generally car tires will have a slightly softer compound than truck tires as well as 1 or 2 less plies of the layers.
I live in manila where its much more filled with road constructions and much more so corruption. Roads are reconstructed every season even if the road is perfectly fine. How's the fuel economy of your son in law's Spresso?

#8 ·
Your fuel economy can suffer a little but also consider your odometer (and speedometer) are showing less than real due to the increased tire diameter so you need to correct figures (real speed/distance is (showen figure) x (new dia / old dia)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

#9 ·
Your fuel economy can suffer a little but also consider your odometer (and speedometer) are showing less than real due to the increased tire diameter so you need to correct figures (real speed/distance is (showen figure) x (new dia / old dia)
actually I think this tire is what the factory odometer is calibrated to. My 155 65 r14s were 5-7kmh under compared to my current tire which seemed to be accurate to my GPS now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.