Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 06 forenza is leaking gas when the tank is filled and I have a hard time starting it. I think its a fuel pump problem the previous owner said she replaced the fuel pump but don't know if it was used or new or how long ago. anyone else have these symptoms

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi! welcome to the forum!! so, a bad fuel pump shouldnt cause the car to leak gas? first let me say that when gas is involved you should certainly have a mechanic take a look. this can be a dangerous situation. you also probably shouldnt be driving the car. now, where is the leak? is gas actually spilling out or do you just smell gas? is it a constant leak or does it just leak when the car is running? when the car does start does the car run correctly? does it hesitate or sputter when you press on the gas pedal or feel like its going to stall? let us know and we'll try to help. maybe someone else with some more knowledge will chime in also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it only leaks gas when I fill it up and the pump clicks off then a little gas comes from under the back seat area which is why I thought of the fuel pump. the car runs fine most of the time occasionally there is some sputtering but not always. im starting to think its just a seal somewhere around the fuel pump. I did talk to previous owner its been 2 years since the pump was replaced but it was with a used one. also I get a code come up that is related to evap leak or something I can remember what it says exactly. thanks for the post.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. Ok much better, now we have something to work with. Ok so the evap code, that's related to the fuel system. The gas cap, evap canister and odd and ends. Usually this code had been seen for a non sealing gas cap but I think this isn't the case with your car. So it's sounds like what's happens is when you have a full tank the gas is getting out the fuel pump top seal. Check and make sure it's secured correctly. There's always a chance that it wasn't put back properly when they replaced the pump. That also might be the cause of the code coming up. Start with that and if you need to replace the seal. You might be able to find one at RockAuto Parts Catalog. If not try Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store. They have most every part and if they don't they can usually get it for you. After the seals replaced or tightened if the code comes up again we can look into that, maybe just a new gas cap. You also might want to have a look at the filler tube and make sure that fuel isn't leaking from that to under the seat. Anything else just ask :) let us know what you find out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will need to fill it up again to pinpoint the leak. can that seal be replaced through the fuel pump hole under the rear seat?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Honestly I've never been in there so I'm not sure. If you can get to it through the rear seat I would think so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts