Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend says his 86 Samurai brakes make a rattling noise especially on rough roads, unless he has his foot on the brake pedal. He has checked them and all the springs seem to be in place. Any suggestions on what to look for?

·
Super Moderator
12,165 Posts
Anti rattle clips on the front disk calipers are probably missing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, does anyone have a picture of this or an exploded view from a book that I could see?

·
Super Moderator
12,165 Posts
No offense meant, but, brakes are really one aspect of a motor vehicle where you want the person doing the work to have some amount of experience - a picture of the anti-rattle clips should really not be necessary.

The frightening thing about this (at least for me) is that it's all too common - just over a year ago I picked up a used vehicle from a local dealership (meaning it was owned & operated by the dealership, rather than a vehicle from their used car lot) - one of the many problems it had was a persistent rattle from the front end, and just like your friend, I found it stopped as soon as I touched the brakes - all of the anti-rattle clips were missing - and these are not items that can brcome loose and fall out during normal operation - although it's conceivable that they can be dislodged during pad replacement - so at some point someone serviced the vehicle, probably replaced the pads, either knocked the clips loose or removed them and couldn't figure out how to replace them.

The most challenging part of the repair was locating the correct clips - sometimes they come with pad sets, sometimes they don't.

See attached image - #8 & #9 are the clips.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts