Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I need some help with my transmission range sensor (trs). My car had not been running and my friend and I checked everything. We thought it was the camshaft, so we change it, and I even changed out my pigtails going to the camshaft because mine was wearing out. So, I thought it was a spark problem, changed the spark plugs, the coil, and still no start. My scanner said it was a transmission range sensor. P705, I also got P2106, P2110, P2101- all throttle codes. I thought I got these cause of the trs that needed to be changed. So, I changed the trs, and I got the check engine light to go away, but the display still shows the funky mixed numbers and letters. And now my scanner doesn't work. It says , "error in communication with the ECU but I'm guessing that's cause I don't have a check engine light? Anyhow, I guess in going to have to try and take out the trs again, because I'm guessing I didn't put it on right, which I feel I did because it still doesn't start, and I put the car and switch on neutral . I had heard that in order to put the part, you put the car and switch in neutral. I feel like I did it right, I tried before. I'm thinking I have to try it again and again. I feel that there's really no other way to put the tsr on. It really only goes on one way, however there are many ways to bolt the nuts ( I've hear center and away from the car). If anyone has any help for me I would greatly appreciate it! I've read all the posts from the trs section. I feel like I should have got this thing going by now. Can someone please help? THank You!

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
first off, what year and model?

what diagnosis process has led you to think this was a "camshaft" issue? and do you mean camshaft sensor?

what are your actual symptoms? low power? no start?
I'm sorry but your rambling post doesn't actually tell us what your root issue is. What do you mean by "funky mixed numbers and letters"?

P2106, P2110, are all "power limit" codes set when the ECM detects an issue and limits RPM. These codes have many causes.

Have you reset all the codes and seen whats actually there?

P2101 is a code set if the ECM detects a mismatch between set throttle opening and actual, can be a stuck throttle body or a faulty TPS on the throttle body.

P0705 is transmission range sensor, this is set if there is a mismatch between gearbox position and actual expected result, like ECM detects output speed when selector is in park.

Fitting them is simple, align the marks on switch with gearbox in N and bolt it up. Double check by making sure it only starts in P or N. If you have no alignment marks, rotate swiych to P position, gearbox in park, fit. check as above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and yes thank you for your response! Actually, after I wrote that, I finally got the car started! Thank God!!🙏 I figured it was 2 burned fuses! One a ECM fuse and the other Engine Start fuse! Oh gezzzz! Can you believe it,?!! Well, it works, which is great. I guess I'm going to move the trs a bit with the wiggle room it has because sometimes it drives really well in the gears it's supposed to be in, but other times it moves. - 3rd is really drive, and such.... Which isn't great when you need to reverse! I don't believe I have to take off the trs all over again, but just move the sensor a bit from the top bolt, since it has wiggle room. I've heard position or towards the center- then I've also heard away from the car. Interesting now, it started doing something completely different after driving it a bit. Now it has emergency brake light on dimmed while I drive and the battery dimmed too. My Battery is good I know.... And my emergency brake isn't on while I'm driving. I'm just guessing it's throwing off some random stuff because it's not positioned properly -?! I'd appreciate your help! Thank you!

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I suspect you have 2 issues, sensor isn't aligned correctly, and a short in your wiring causing the brake and charge lights to come on.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
OK, I'll check that out and work on those. Thank you so much the your help!
It seems you are guessing, so until some diagnostic process is used we will not be able to assist, other than guessing...

.... Philip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I'm not guessing but since I'm not a mechanic by trade that's why I said that. I bought a scanner so I know specifically- the codes and the trs. What I don't understand is why it hasn't catching right gears sometimes - so in that case it's probably because there's wiggle room when your replace the top nut. So I'll just take it as that. I'm just looking for anyone else that knows about replacing transmission range sensors. The throttle codes that are pulling up are because of trs not being in the right specific adjusted position....

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
The throttle codes that are pulling up are because of trs not being in the right specific adjusted position....
no they aren't......diagnose it properly. if it starts in P or D and not in any other position, its in the right place.

Not "catching" gears is a different issue entirely, from what you're describing its fine sometimes and not others. This would tend to indicate a valve or solenoid control issue in the transmission which could certainly set a 2106 or 2110 code. It could also set several of the 27xx series codes as the TCM would be detecting a mismatch between selected range and actual range, 2705 being one of the possible codes.

Wiring issues can also cause this situation.

as I said earlier.

P2106, P2110, are all "power limit" codes set when the ECM detects an issue and limits RPM. These codes have many causes. Transmission issues amongst them.

P2101 is a code set if the ECM detects a mismatch between set throttle opening and actual opening, can be a stuck throttle body or a faulty TPS on the throttle body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you for your input. I thought I had fixed it, cause I moved the sensor closer to the middle and I actually stayed in the gears I shifted to. Then all of a sudden when driving home, my speedometer went fluctuating! Up and down and up and down - then stayed down. Then my radio didn't want to work. It was pure static . I felt like my car was out of control! Then it didn't want to drive - just real sluggish. Then as I got home- I live on an incline, it totally died. And I noticed my coolant was leaking big time! It busted! Leaking down my street! So I rolled it down to a parking space . It didn't want to start. I checked with my scanner and the only code I get now is P0705. Transmission range sensor A circuit! Can you give me your input please! I greatly appreciate it.! Why did my radio turn to static..? And why did my speedometer gauges fluctuate.? And now what do I have to do with this sensor? Just mess with the wiggle room where the top bolt is????

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Thank you for your input. I thought I had fixed it, cause I moved the sensor closer to the middle and I actually stayed in the gears I shifted to. Then all of a sudden when driving home, my speedometer went fluctuating! Up and down and up and down - then stayed down. Then my radio didn't want to work. It was pure static . I felt like my car was out of control! Then it didn't want to drive - just real sluggish. Then as I got home- I live on an incline, it totally died. And I noticed my coolant was leaking big time! It busted! Leaking down my street! So I rolled it down to a parking space . It didn't want to start. I checked with my scanner and the only code I get now is P0705. Transmission range sensor A circuit! Can you give me your input please! I greatly appreciate it.! Why did my radio turn to static..? And why did my speedometer gauges fluctuate.? And now what do I have to do with this sensor? Just mess with the wiggle room where the top bolt is????
your issues are NOT with the range sensor, you have wiring issues elsewhere and now loss of coolant which has possibly caused bigger more serious and expensive issues.

You have bigger problems. Your first test will be doing a compression test to confirm the state of the engine and whether its worth repairing or whether you have overheated it and caused major damage.

Forget the TRS, its the least of your problems. you have shorted wiring somewhere causing issues. While your scanner is showing a code for the TRS, its only showing the result of testing the circuit to the sensor. This is why you need to DIAGNOSE things properly and not change things based on codes. You have changed the sensor and still have issues right? then the sensor is not the issue.

I know one well known vehicle that gives "wheel speed sensor intermittent" codes when the wheel bearings start to wear and gain movement. (C003x) Which proves that while a scanner can read a code, it doesn't tell you whats wrong. In this case the code is a symptom of a mechanical issue totally unrelated to the ABS function.

Static on the radio? I don't know, but shorted wiring and the blown ECM and start fuse should have made you stop and think, rather than getting fixated on something that is not a problem. I did suggest that you may have a short somewhere thats causing all your drive-ability issues and codes, but you seem fixated on a sensor you seem to think is faulty but has no bearing on the other symptoms you describe.

DIAGNOSE IT PROPERLY.....I would suggest you may want to seek professional help with this, and stop relying on the codes your scanner gives you as being the definitive answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! Actually, I'm not doubting it's the wiring . I m not a wiring expert. Is there a chart or figuring of the wiring? Now, I'm going to have to get my battery charged and do a great on my alternator. Because now my car doesn't start. I got a jump but then soon after 30 seconds or so, it died. And I checked my battery level was at 8 volts. I will check the wiring and the wiring to the alternator and from too. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You did remember to look for what caused you to lose coolant and fixed that correct? Did you add coolant? Did you check your oil to see if had a whitish coloring on it or any kind of sign to make sure, you did not crack a head?
I have one very important tip for you my friend and I am typing it slowly, so please read it slowly and understand what it says or reread it until you do. Here is my major tip for you: THESE PEOPLE ON HERE ARE DIE HARD SUZUKI OWNERS ,FANS AND WELL EDUCATED MECHANICS OR KNOWLEDGED PEOPLE, so when you ask them a question, make sure you read and reread until you fully understand what they are asking you for (as in info like year, model ect) or telling you would be the right steps for you to take from what you asked of them.
THE person replying to you, asked you for information, so they could help you solve your problem faster, easier and more precise. They are like your scanner but WAY WAY BETTER and you asked for help and instead of listening to the person trying to help with what you ASKED, YOU BECAME AN ASKHOLE, That is someone who ask another person or persons a question in regards to advise for helping them with a delima and when that person with greater knowledge gives the answer to them an ASKHOLE will not listen and go their own direction with the delima and usually the wrong direction.
THESE PEOPLE ARE TOP %
Best of luck to you on getting your vehicle going . Either I missed you saying make model and year or you never gave when asked..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts