Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks in advance for any help.

I've got a LWB Sammi that is pretty much stock.

There's a company that makes leaf springs here that I'm working with to get my samurai riding better. But I don't know what to ask for.

I don't want to go with OME or any others because shipping alone would cost more than these I'm having made.
I sent them two photos with measurements:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

They sent back the two drawings.
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

After looking at the drawings, they may be too short end to end, especially if they are shorter while arched.

I did some spring rate calculations, rear is 206.73 lbs/inch (+234 for the overload), and front is 318.9 lbs/inch (used an online calculator for each leaf and added them up, so the whole pack might function differently). It seems stiff, from what I've read, but I really don't know what I should aim for.

If anybody has experience with this stuff, I'd appreciate the input.

Apologies for the units.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
First question is how old is the vehicle?
Have you checked your springs against the oem ones, your fronts look rather sagged compared to new.
Reason im asking, is that they do sag with age and handling is certainly affected when they do.

If you can find the original oem specs and remove one and measure it, im picking you will find they are well out of spec. The hanger brackets should be just past vertical unloaded as a rough rule of thumb in the direction of travel when compressing.

Fitting them will usually require a couple of decent tie downs to compress the spring to get the hangers on, if they fit without a fight they are probably sagged past the service limit.

Any reputable suspension shop that does leaf springs should be able to re tension your ones and take them back to factory spec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First question is how old is the vehicle?
Have you checked your springs against the oem ones, your fronts look rather sagged compared to new.
Reason im asking, is that they do sag with age and handling is certainly affected when they do.

If you can find the original oem specs and remove one and measure it, im picking you will find they are well out of spec. The hanger brackets should be just past vertical unloaded as a rough rule of thumb in the direction of travel when compressing.

Fitting them will usually require a couple of decent tie downs to compress the spring to get the hangers on, if they fit without a fight they are probably sagged past the service limit.

Any reputable suspension shop that does leaf springs should be able to re tension your ones and take them back to factory spec.
Thanks for the info, maybe this is all I need, just to get mine re-tensioned. I was looking for new springs because mine seem so sagged, and I thought I might as well get them with some lift. But if I can just get them re-tensioned, maybe thats enough.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You will be surprised just how far they sag over time. I'm lucky, I have a shop near me that strips them down, anneals them, re bends then re hardens and tempers according to factory specifications. They even custom make leaves if you have a broken one, roll new eyes etc. Didn't realise how bad the ones on the ute were until I got them re set. Mind you, 50 years of hard use im not surprised

1 - 4 of 4 Posts