Suzuki Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Suzuki Sidekick 2 Door Automatic 16 valve
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The LRTK kit that was talked about, is that the same as the kit from Trail Tough?

The one from Trail Tough seems to do the same thing and the OME, but maybe it's a domestic (USA) produced (their own version) of the same thing as the OME. Does anyone know about this?
Im not sure. They look almost the same tho. I was debating on getting that kit from that website too but ended up goin to LowRange instead bc it was recommended by Fordem and also bc they have great customer service and would respond to me everyday through emails and answer all my noobie questions lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Sup guys.. so in the meantime while I wait for my lift kit.. I had some questions about a stalling situation I have and I also want to post about the things I’ve worked on and replaced/Plan to replace on the sidekick. I was wondering if I should start a new thread or should I just continue posting on this one even tho it will have nothing to do about the lift topic?

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Start a new thread, list symptoms and what diagnostic steps you have done so far

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
The LRTK kit that was talked about, is that the same as the kit from Trail Tough?

The one from Trail Tough seems to do the same thing and the OME, but maybe it's a domestic (USA) produced (their own version) of the same thing as the OME. Does anyone know about this?
I'm going to assume you're asking about the Trail Tough 2.5 lift kit because the other lift kits listed are "solid axle conversions" - no, it's not the same as the LRTK kits, and yes, it does do the same thing - lift the truck - the Trail Tough kit is four springs (two front, two rear), two shocks, two struts, two camber bolts, the LRTK kits also include coil spacers and control arm spacers.

Trail Tough describes their kit as their "private label" compilation and provides no further information, Low Range Off Road is a little more forth coming and identify the manufacturer of their coils & rear shocks, but provide no details of the struts. It's theoretically possible that both companies are using the same strut & shock combination, but we have no way of knowing that, they are definitely not using the same springs, because the OME springs that Low Range is supplying will not give you 2.5 inches of lift.

Both vendors have considerable experience with Suzuki vehicles and modifying them, although I'd actually give Trail Tough the edge in that regard. Having said that, I'm not a believer in the "one size fits all" approach that they have taken with their 2.5 inch lift kit, especially given the fact that there are short and long wheel base versions of the vehicle. Low Range is offering a choice of light & heavy load springs, which in my opinion is necessary, and because they are using OME springs, they can choose from five different front coils & three rear for the 1989~1998 vehicles, allowing for considerable flexibility - the selection is going to be (or should be) based on SWB/LWB, engine size & expected loading.

I've nothing against the "buy local" approach, and you're free to spend your money where you choose, what I will say is that Suzuki's "presence" in the US market was never a large one, to the point where ASMC (American Suzuki Motor Corporation) has restructured and is no longer selling cars & trucks, design, fabrication & production of accessories for vehicles with low sales volumes is not a financially viable venture so you're unlikely to see any US manufacturer doing the engineering research & testing that OME does in Australia, where Suzuki continues to offer new cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sneaking in with a related question. is there any rear lift that is temporary as my tail end drags on the flimsy rear skid plate on some ditches. I do not want to lift the back end in any permanent way.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Sneaking in with a related question. is there any rear lift that is temporary as my tail end drags on the flimsy rear skid plate on some ditches. I do not want to lift the back end in any permanent way.
Any lift will require physical work on the suspension, even an airbag will only lift it as far as spring and strut extension will allow.

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
The average lift is as permanent or temporary as you choose to make it - there is nothing to stop you from installing a simple spacer lift and then taking it out at some later date. Be aware however, that lifts that require cutting & welding can be difficult to "undo".

Personally, I like my modifications to be "reversible", even though I have little intention of removing them...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
What’s up guys, so my lift came in and I plan on installing it this weekend. I’d like to buy some 29 inch tires asap. It would be 235/75/15 right? I need some direction, I would like to know what some common tires are? I will be using my sidekick mostly for off road trails and sand. I’m looking to pair them with

and I was thinking these tires

Goodyear LT235/75R15 Tire, Wrangler Duratrac - 312008027

I like the aggressive look on the duratec and it seems to have good reviews. Would that wheel and tire pair? Any advice would be appreciated thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
I don't think I'm the best person to advise on the rims, but an 8 inch rim with a 2.5 inch backspace does not sound right to me

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
This is where I hate the terminology websites use. If they offset away from the hub, it's going to push the tyre out from the car, and with 29" they will rub the wheel arches at a 2.5 " offset. If they space in, the rims will foul on the struts before you even get the nuts on. 8" is way too wide, fit them if you wish, but you're going to bend or break stuff if the suspension is standard in my opinion.

I have 235/70/16 on the 2013 and 235/60/18 on the 2015 on the factory rims on my 3G's, they are pretty fat feet at just over 9" across the tread with weight on the car

Fit them, but you will have to take to it with a sawzall to get them to clear the guards.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
This is where I hate the terminology websites use. If they offset away from the hub, it's going to push the tyre out from the car, and with 29" they will rub the wheel arches at a 2.5 " offset. If they space in, the rims will foul on the struts before you even get the nuts on. 8" is way too wide, fit them if you wish, but you're going to bend or break stuff if the suspension is standard in my opinion.

I have 235/70/16 on the 2013 and 235/60/18 on the 2015 on the factory rims on my 3G's, they are pretty fat feet at just over 9" across the tread with weight on the car

Fit them, but you will have to take to it with a sawzall to get them to clear the guards.
I’d much rather buy tires that would fit with ease. I don’t want to cut or modify anything lol. I like the black steel wheels and chose the tires bc of the look and reviews but im fine with looking again and finding something that fits.

So how can I tell where the 8 inches came from? Is it bc the measurements said 15x8? Is that the width? What would be a better fit?

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
The tire manufacturer's spec should give you a recommended rim width - the Yokohama sheets I have on hand allow a 235/75R15 to be used on a rim width of 6~8 inches

Yes - the rim spec of 15x8 is where the 8 inches comes from - it is a little on the wide side, but it's the backspace that worries me, 2.5" does not sound like enough, but it's going on twenty years since I've driven a two door Sidekick and I'd rather not guess and mislead you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The tire manufacturer's spec should give you a recommended rim width - the Yokohama sheets I have on hand allow a 235/75R15 to be used on a rim width of 6~8 inches

Yes - the rim spec of 15x8 is where the 8 inches comes from - it is a little on the wide side, but it's the backspace that worries me, 2.5" does not sound like enough, but it's going on twenty years since I've driven a two door Sidekick and I'd rather not guess and mislead you.
Ohh I see there’s something called backspace that needs to be accounted for. I was looking at someone’s mods that they did to their Sidekick and I was wondering what they ment by backspacing.. Ill look into it and figure out what size fits. Thanks for the heads up. There’s a little more to tire fitting then expected Lol.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Royce, with "metric" tyres, 235 is width in mm (200 mm is 8") so a 235 is theoretically 9.5 inches, 75 is % ratio of tread width to wall height and 15 is obviously rim diameter.
With the "old" truck size 15x8 as fordem says is an 8 inch wide tyre that fits a 15" rim. As to how the sidewall height works with those, I have no idea but there will be a site somewhere that will explain it.

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Backspacing is the distance from the back of the rim to the mounting face - it can be a critical dimension when selecting a rim - too much backspace and the tire/rim assembly fouls the suspension, too little backspacing and you risk the tire fouling the bodywork either as you turn or as the suspension cycles up/down.

Unfortunately, whilst you can predict, to some extent, what will happen based on calculations, it's far from an exact science.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks guys for the info. I’ll keep looking. I’m thinking I’ll look at a bunch of members rides and see what they’re running

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm running 235/75/R15 (General Grabber AT3) on stock rims with no lift.
There is a small amount of rubbing in the wheel well. However, only under full compression, with the wheel at full lock, when off pavement, but it truly is not bad.
A couple of blows with the BFH and it wouldn't rub at all...just haven't gotten to it...

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Mr. Z. - can you tells us what the stock rim size & backspacing is? Also, where in the wheel well does it rub?

·
Registered
38 Posts
96 LSI 4×4. These are 4.0" backsace 15×7.5" wheels with 235/75-15 wheels. I bought about about 4 years off ebay so I cant pull up history. Sorry.
They all balanced perfect with very little weight. I had factory rims with Goodyear MTs 235/75-15 and on wet pavement they would slip all over the place on accelerating and braking. Not the firsy Goodyears I had and all the same. I will never buy them again!!!
This size tire does seem to roadwalk on factory and these rims. Nature of the beast I think. Great off road though. Irun 24-25psi front and 23-24 psi rear. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 95 Posts