Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Suzuki Sidekick 2 Door Automatic 16 valve
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys, I been doing some research and I’m still kinda lost as to what lift and tires I should get. I have a 1996 Sidekick 4x4 2 door and need some suggestions. I will be using my sidekick mostly for beach purposes (driving on sand) and some minor trails. Should I get a big enough suspension lift to where I wouldn’t have to get a body lift too? Do you guys suggest to do both? What’s a common tire size and lift combination? I was looking at the cheap lifts on amazon and wanted to go that route when I first bought the sidekick but after owning it for a few weeks I don’t mind spending a little more lol. What websites do you recommend ? I have about $1500 + to spend on everything. Sorry I tried researching myself but there’s so many options and stuff and I just want help to narrow my decision so I can finally get this lift done. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone use the DuraTrac tires? Thinking about going with those

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Don't go near calmini, they take money and never ship. they are about to get taken to court over their business practices.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't go near calmini, they take money and never ship. they are about to get taken to court over their business practices.
Thanks for the heads up! I read an old post where the guy recommended calmani and I was looking at their website but I might go elsewhere now

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Search for calmini legal action and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
every time you save money is a good save....

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Low Range Off Road and Old Man Emu would be my recommendation - and you don't need a lift and big tires for beach sand and minor trails. Be aware that large tires impact gearing, i would suggest nothing larger than a 29 inch

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Low Range Off Road and Old Man Emu would be my recommendation - and you don't need a lift and big tires for beach sand and minor trails. Be aware that large tires impact gearing, i would suggest nothing larger than a 29 inch
Thank you! Very informative. I was looking at 31s and 4 inch lifts and stuff lol! I didn’t know it would affect the gearing. Well I guess that makes things a bit easier and cheaper lol. What size lift do you recommend with 29 inch tires ? What’s the highest I can go without any complications?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Anyone know how high you can lift the sidekick without having to modify any parts? Also what tires would you recommend for mostly sand and mud?

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
I find just about anything works in sand at the correct pressure, I drop mine to about 18 psi on sand from the 28 I run on the road. For mud, it's your choice, there will be lots on here that will have their favourite brand and tread.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find just about anything works in sand at the correct pressure, I drop mine to about 18 psi on sand from the 28 I run on the road. For mud, it's your choice, there will be lots on here that will have their favourite brand and tread.
ok sounds good I’ll look into some common tires. Do you know how high I can lift my sidekick without complications? I was thinking of a 3 inch suspension lift from lowrange website with some 29 inch tires?

BTW on a side note... I took the sidekick on some sand trails earlier and I tried to turn around on soft sand lol. I had to pretty much floor it in order to get the thing to reverse and all of a sudden the check engine light came on and my car shut off! I was like damn what the hell did I do !??? Lol but I started it , put it in drive and it ran fine.. no check light either. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I decided I’ll go with lowrange off road kit. I’ll probably get the 3.5 lift. 2.5 suspension and 1 inch body lift. I know the body lift is just to fit bigger tires and since I’m just going to go with 29 inch tires, I don’t need the body lift. But I’m thinking of getting it just in case I want to get bigger tires in the future. Anyways my question is.. what spring rate should I get? Before I checkout, there’s an option of light or heavy coils and I’m not sure what to get. I’d like to have a softer ride on the trails. I feel a big difference between my Xterra and Sidekick on the trails and the sidekick seems way too stiff tight now. Any suggestions ?

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Talk to the guys at LowRange, they are not just product sales guys, they are also off road enthusiasts and can guide you.

Regarding spring rate, we can't tell you what to get, and neither can Low Range - you're going to make that decision based on how you plan to use the vehicle - if you're going to be running a stock vehicle with no "permanent" load, I would suggest "light load" springs, if you're going to be equipping the vehicle with a second battery, winch, winch bumper, etc., etc., etc., that's when you're going to start thinking about heavy load springs - be realistic with your goals here, because heavy load springs in an unloaded vehicle will give you a harsh ride.

If the Sidekick with stock springs feels too stiff for you, I will again suggest OME - you won't get a two inch lift, but you will get a much improved ride and you should get enough clearance for 29" tires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talk to the guys at LowRange, they are not just product sales guys, they are also off road enthusiasts and can guide you.

Regarding spring rate, we can't tell you what to get, and neither can Low Range - you're going to make that decision based on how you plan to use the vehicle - if you're going to be running a stock vehicle with no "permanent" load, I would suggest "light load" springs, if you're going to be equipping the vehicle with a second battery, winch, winch bumper, etc., etc., etc., that's when you're going to start thinking about heavy load springs - be realistic with your goals here, because heavy load springs in an unloaded vehicle will give you a harsh ride.

If the Sidekick with stock springs feels too stiff for you, I will again suggest OME - you won't get a two inch lift, but you will get a much improved ride and you should get enough clearance for 29" tires.
Okay I see the difference in what the spring rates do now, thanks. I probably won’t be loading the vehicle with heavy things so I’ll just go with light springs. And I want to lift it at least 2 inches bc I almost go stuck on one of the trails where I live and I’ll sacrifice some stiffness for clearance. Thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Bear this in mind - two inches of suspension lift - plus one inch of lift from tires (going from a 27 to a 29 lifts the vehicle by one inch) - equals three inches of lift in total.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bear this in mind - two inches of suspension lift - plus one inch of lift from tires (going from a 27 to a 29 lifts the vehicle by one inch) - equals three inches of lift in total.
3 inches will be the max before I would have to modify any parts right?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Any one know what kind of wheels these are? I’ve decided on what lift I want now I’m deciding what tire.. I think I’ve read that 29 inches will be 235/75/15? I’ll most like use the same wheel and just look for off road or all terrain tires

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
3 inches will be the max before I would have to modify any parts right?
Personally I would consider two inches to be the maximum before you have to start looking at diff drops and the like, and you may or may not need camber bolts to correct the camber with a two inch lift.

Also, a chrome rim would not be on my short list - you'll forever by fighting unsightly rust specks - look close enough at that picture and you'll see them around the lug nuts..

1 - 20 of 95 Posts