Suzuki Forums banner

I just bought a Suzuki SJ410 in the dark for £350.

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Joe-Suzuki 
#1 ·
Hi,

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I have access to a private 4x4 course (which was actually just 14 acres of waste land until we pulled the excavator out over the weekend!) We have a few Toyota 4x4's (Hilux, surf, landcrusier etc), but wanted something we didn't have to worry about as much! However having spent an hour with it, I think I want to do it up a bit and make it road worthy.

I bought this for £350. It's a bit worn down and rusty but just had to have it when I saw the images.

It runs, needs a new clutch and needs the 4wd looking at, at the moment seems only to be rwd. Some lights work, battery is completely dead and the dash is like a disco.

Any comments or suggestions about what I should do with it would be appreciated, as I know next to nothing about these!

Thanks!

Joe

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I'll ask the obvious, are the front hubs in the lock position ;). If they are not maintained they can stick in the unlocked position. A strip down and regrease is normally all that's needed. Just jack the front up and check that when you turn a wheel the opposite one spins in the opposite direction.
You probably already know this having other 4x4's though.

#5 ·
4x4 ,mud terrain tyres. These little things will go places many expensive 4x4's won't. Enjoy your new toy :thumbsup:

Google "Aisin hub service" your find plenty of write-ups on servicing them. Your brothers Toyota may well have the same.

#6 ·
I'll probably look at getting some better tyres. Thing is, I went around the course in the surf and I constantly felt like it was going to tip over. This SJ is so much smaller! The guy doing the digging has made some very steep inclines! I'll be taking it out on Saturday and will make sure to mount some GoPro's!

#8 ·
No LSDs available but you can probably still get a rear locker, if its off-road only then that would be the way to go.

#10 ·
Tyres and tyre pressures make a huge difference. You have different wheels front and back, are they the same size?

#13 ·
Just came across him on another post, so have fired him an email. Would love to get a set by the weekend so we can work on the steering arm and hopefully have it running by the weekend, but that's just wishful thinking!

Not sure on which fittings I need just yet, can't check either as it's out at our garage at the moment :(.

#14 · (Edited)
Well we've done some modifications to my SJ410!

- Spring over axle conversion (Got a couple of sets of extended brake lines from Lama 4x4. Thanks Darrell!)
- New front leaf springs
- New 31 10.5 R15 Insa Turbo Risko tyres
- Front and rear welding diffs. (Front hubs can be unlocked, and it's not going to be used on the road).
- 36mm Bulldog spacers from ebay.
- CB Radio
- New clutch

From the £350 I paid, we've spent so far an additional £700 on the mods / parts.

See the album here and check the descriptions for more info!

Our Suzuki SJ410's - Album on Imgur

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.